cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Data Types

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any HOWTO documents that describe the creation and usage of global data types in XI? We have complex types that we would like to use across software components.

Thanks,

--jtb

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185751
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I'm not sure whether there are any HOWTO docs but you can try creating one SWC with all the Data types and Message types which will be used by all other SWC. Then create a dependency for all other SWC to this SWC (which contains the msg types and data types) in the SLD.

Regards,

Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sridhar,

I don't think your suggestion will work because it assumes I can reference data types in software components outside the one in which I'm working. Within the design tool, I have not been been able to create a data type element that references a data type outside the current software component.

Thanks,

--jtb

former_member185751
Contributor
0 Kudos

James,

Please correct me if i'm wrong. My understanding of your problem is : you want to create a data type which references a data type outside the current SWC.

I just tested one right now and it seems possible.

Let me explain with an example:

SWC:A (Contains the data type which you want to reference, say for e.g. include_DT)

SWC:B (contains the data type where you want to reference a DT which is in SWC:A.Lets call it Main_DT)

You need to create the dependency between SWC:A and SWC:B in the SLD.

While creating the Main_DT, you shld use "Search Help" to reference the include_DT in any of the subelements that you have. But you cannot reference the include_DT at the root element level in Main_DT.

Regards,

Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sridhar,

Yes, your understanding of my problem is correct and the solution you propose is excellent. That aside though, the XI 3.0 documentation says elements can reference "built-in, simple, complex, or global data types." Perhaps my understanding of global data types is lacking. I inferred from the documentation that global data types would span software components but I found no information on how to define them.

Your proposal is excellent and we may end up using it.

Regards,

--jtb

Answers (0)