cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic Data Source With Function Module

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

In Genereic data source, If I choose "Generic Delta", I could choose "New Status" or "Additive Delta",

I chose "new status" initially when I created the data source and fm. If I change this generic delta to "additive", Do I need to change the FM?|

I mean does the system takes care of the delta process or do I need to take care of it in my FM?

Thanks,

Bingjie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bingjie,

if a field exists in the extraction structure of a DataSource and the field contains values that increase monotonically over time, you can define delta capability for this DataSource. If a delta-relevant field of this type exists in the extraction structure (a timestamp, for example), the system determines the data volume transferred in the delta mode by comparing the maximum value transferred with the last load with the amount of data that has since entered the system. Only the new data is transferred.

To get the delta, generic delta management translates the update mode into a selection criterion. The selections of the request are enhanced with an interval for the delta-relevant field. The lower limit of the interval is taken from the previous extraction. The upper limit is taken from the current value, for example, the timestamp at the time of extraction. You use security intervals to ensure that all data is taken into account during extraction (see below). After the data request is transferred to the extractor and the data is extracted, the extractor informs generic delta management that the pointer can be set to the upper limit of the previously determined interval.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/37/4f3ca8b672a34082ab3085d3c22145/frameset.htm

So the system takes care of the delta process...

Here some threads what to use: additive or new status:

With the Additive Delta delta type, the record to be loaded for cumulative key figures only returns the change to the respective key figure. The extracted data is added into BI. DataSources with this delta type can write data to DataStore objects and InfoCubes.

With the New Status for Changed Records delta type, each record to be loaded returns the new status for all key figures and characteristics. The values in BI are overwritten. DataSources with this delta type can write data to DataStore objects and master data tables.

Regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Andreas,

So the answer is that the system would take care of the delta process for generic data source.

That's what I expected!

I found that my FM did not do anything special to take care of the delta process. So I was wondering had I chosen to use delta, should the function still work. I could also try it out by myself.

However if somebody knows the answer I don't need to try.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

Thanks,

Bingjie