cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generated Crystal Report PDFs are different on Windows server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I created Crystal Report template (with two columns on one page) inside VS 2005 on my Windows XP Professional machine. But there are formating problems on both XP and Windows Server machines:

1) On Windows XP machine, I have to overlap the two columns on the page inside VS 2005 editor in order to generate correct PDF file (without overlap). How to fix the the overlapping problem in editor?

2) On Windows 2003 server: After I put the template on Windows 2003 server that has no VS 2005 installed (only CRRedist2005_x86.msi was installed), the generated PDF has different font size and layout (such as page size, column overlap, etc).

Do I have to install VS 2005 on server too? It is really frustrating that I have to print document generated on the server before I know if the template works fine or not.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Finally I found out the problem: The two servers pointed to the same printer, but with different versions of driver! After we updated to same version of printer driver, the font problem disappeared.

Thanks a lot! We have spent long time for this formating issue.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Typically when you are seeing page formatting issues on different machines, it could be because of printer drivers (or lack of). The reporting engine relies on the printer driver configured on the machine to provide information so that a page can be properly rendered. If you designed the report on your dev machine which is using PrinterA and then deploy to another machine using PrinterB, the formatting could be off. So make sure that the exact same printer driver is being used on these machines. If your deployments are expected to go to different machines where you don't know what printer will be installed, then you will need to design the report such that it can be rendered as best as possible. Another option is to check the "No Printer" option and this should render the report the same on any machine with any printer, but then you'll need to make sure you handle any scenarios where the user wants to print to the printer.

If this is an ASP.NET application then permissions could play a part if the printer drivers cannot be accessed. There are whitepapers on the BOBJ support site that have information on to configure CR to print reports in ASP.NET apps.

-MJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information.

The program is a .NET web service to create PDF document using this statement:

oDocument.ExportToDisk(ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat, sOutputFile);

There is only one same printer installed on both Windows server 2003 machines. But the generated PDF files have different font size. There is no issue with user permission on both servers.

Could you tell me what is the possible reason? Thanks a lot!