cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Error - Please Help

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm building a windows form app using vb.net, Visual Studio 2008, and CR 2008 (12.0.2000.0). I have a very simple app that loads a report into a viewer control when the form is loaded. About 80% of the time, the report loads with no issue. The other 20% of the time, I receive an exception which Visual Studio doesn't point out where in my code it is, so I'm assuming its the CR viewer that is throwing it. Here is the code I am using, and the associated exception is below. I can't for the life of me figure this out, and the issue has been replicated on a clean system running the CR 2008 SP3 Runtime. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

VB Code:

-

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim Report As CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

Report.Load("c:\report.rpt")

crystalreportviewer_main.ReportSource = Report

End Sub

-

Exception:

-

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled

Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Source="CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms"

StackTrace: 3

at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(ApplicationContext context)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.OnRun()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.DoApplicationModel()

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsFormsApplicationBase.Run(String[] commandLine)

at Rock_Pond_Solutions.My.MyApplication.Main(String[] Args) in 17d14f5c-a337-4978-8281-53493378c1071.vb:line 81

at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)

at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

InnerException:

-

Edited by: mlager on Oct 20, 2010 12:41 AM

Edited by: mlager on Oct 20, 2010 12:44 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please mention the service pack of CR 2008 you are on?

Run [Process Monitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx] when your application fails.

[Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip] will be a great help to check the environment details of both scenarios.

Also try to close and dispose the report objects.

Thanks,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try to run process monitor which I have not ever done... I am using sp3 and just tried installing sp3 fix pack 31 and it hasn't resolved the issue. The strange part of it all is how inconsistent the exception is. I actually get a different exception when I try to close and dispose.

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you please paste few errors or exceptions?

Thanks,

Saurabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

its strange, after installing sp3fp31, instead of getting the exception upon load, i get the following exception when i drill down on data within a report (like an on-demand report), again very inconsistently... I just dont get what the variable is making it only throw exceptions 20% of the time. ill hit a sub report, it will work. i close it and hit it again,and it throws the following:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

• Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms

Assembly Version: 12.0.2000.0

Win32 Version: 12.3.2000.601

CrystalDecisions.Shared

Win32 Version: 12.3.2001.684

CrystalDecisions.ReportSource

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well after another day, I'm stilling battling this with no progress. I don't believe a close / dispose is necessary, as doesn't closing the app do that? It's a single EXE that loads a report into the viewer. It works fine 80% of the time, then I close it, open it again, and boom, I get the exception above. I just tested this and received it on a Windows 7 system with the CR 2008 SP3 FP 31 runtime loaded and got the exception twice.

I'm surprised I'm the only one who has seen this, I saw a few other posted the referenced the error message and there wasn't much resolution to their problem either.

The report loads, and the parameters show, and most of the time, the report shows fine. Sometimes I'll get that exception immediately after pressing OK on the parameter screen, and other times the report will load, and I'll get that exception when clicking on an on-demand report.

Again, if anyone could shed light on this, you would be a forum god. Thanks again.

Matt

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here is my attempt at forum godhood :). So, let's think about this;

We essentially have two parts to this app; the report and the database.

The issue appears to be quite rare - not only are you the lucky one, but it happens quite randomly and not regularly.

You have the latest CR updates.

Maybe it's time to look at the database? Thinking about what is happening when you get these exceptions; running the repot (= db connection), drill down (= another DB hit), this may not be a bad idea to think about.

Which leads to a few questions / suggestions;

1) What database are you using?

2) How are you connecting to the database (OLE DB, ODBC, etc)

3) Is the DB client using the latest Service Pack / update

4) Can you change the connection type - say from ODBC to OLE DB - if only as a test?

5) Is the subreport using the same database and connection type?

6) Is the issue happening on subreport drill down, or any drillable field?

7) Is the issue now isolated to drill downs only?

😎 See if enabling the option "Verify on First Print" and "Verify Stored Procedure on First Print" will help (File |Report Options)

9) Is the database changing? E.g.; is your app modifying the database at the same time (give or take a milisecond) as the report is attempting to inhale the data?

Going back to the report. Remove the subreport. Save the report. Reinsert the subreport. See if that changes things.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very good advice, I've actually started question whether or not it is the report as well. All the reports connect through ODBC. Some reports use MSSQL ODbC drivers and some use MySQL ODBC drivers, and in both cases I come across the error.

I'm going to run through your list and narrow this down the best I can, and do some more testing. One thing that is certain is that I don't get the error when running the report in crystal reports 2008 sp3 (the designer).

I'll post my findings here, thanks again, you may be close to god like status

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am curious why the exception happens on OnMouseMove. do you have an event handler for MouseMove?

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How much is a phone support case? What is the number to call? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm new to this thread, but I'm getting the same onMouseMove error. I upgraded from VS/Crystal 2005 to VS/Crystal 2010. Never had this issue till the upgrade. Let me know if there is anything I can do to get this resolved. Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am also getting inconsistent a NullReferenceException with an onMouseOver event without any reason sometimes when opening the crystal report viewer control at runtime.

Just installed SP1 . It has no affect . still have this error from time to time. it seems like a straight up bug in the control. Is any way to catch this error?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No way to catch the error. Go through my post on how to work-around the issue. In a nut shell, this is caused by formula(s) in the report. You have to find out which one(s) and place the formula(s)s in a text box. I have managed to resolve the issue for two customers in this way.

The issue has been reported to R&D and it is "fixed". However the fix will not be released until SP 2 (June \ July time frame).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Since I have removed the <Close> button from our viewer form the frequency of the error has reduced from every 1/2 hour to once a day.

Thanks for your efforts to fix the formulae in the Crystal report example we sent. As you know the changes did not fix the problem in this report (NB. We have approx 40 other reports in our application).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I can send an RPT file that failed with the following frequencies

(NB. I viewed all 12 pages closed the viewer and then viewed the same report again):-

1st Time

2nd Time

5th Time

(NB. the error always occurs on initial opening of the report and appears to get worse if you go to another window and then return to the application window to view the report. The context change to another windows application and back to the application before viewing the file seems to have an impact on the probability of the error occuring).

Will it help if I post this .RPT file?

Do you need a vb.Net code snippit of the viewer activation code as well as the RPT file?

Edited by: David Smith on Mar 18, 2011 12:18 PM

Edited by: David Smith on Mar 18, 2011 12:19 PM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Absolutely. I'll contact you over email.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Due to the intermittent nature of this fault I you need to run my test harness program sequence 20 times rather than 10 times with a <LAST PAGE> <CLOSE> button sequence to view the report using the mouse to be certain the fault will not occur.

However in both the Test harness and our User Interface application:-

If you donu2019t use the form <close> button and use the close window <X> icon in the window frame the problem does not occur!

The company has a global release currently pending that was planned to be released end of this month that we have delayed already.

Have you got any ideas on what the next step is?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kieth,

I am happy to send .rpt files which have caused the error while being viewed.

I don't think this will help because the fault is intermittent.

Probably if this is the first report viewed it will work 9 times out of 10.

Some timing/memory usage or loading factor is involved in reproducing the error.

Edited by: David Smith on Mar 18, 2011 11:48 AM

Edited by: David Smith on Mar 18, 2011 11:53 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

I found the problem was intermittent but the more I investigated the problem, the more I could force the exception.

If you export the report as *.rpt from the viewer, I'm sure once Ludek sees this post he will email you.

Regards,

Keith

Edited by: KDHarrison on Mar 18, 2011 12:22 PM

In reply to your more recent post, see what Ludek says, I think he may be able to replicate the exception using only the report file. (I sent him an app to test the reports with)

Former Member
0 Kudos

When will SAP get this Crystal reports problem get fixed?

The threads below all describe workarounds:-

This intermittent and rare error occurs within the OnMoveMove method of the Crystal Reports Viewer component.

SAP/Crystal Reports cannot reproduce the issue and have not fixed it - see following web links :

/*** 03-Mar-11 17:47 (STS) : Problem Log Edited ; ***/

The following article suggests its to do with the "dock" property of the viewer being set to "fill" :

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vscrystalreports/thread/98bb4330-e3e5-46e2-abbb-76c730ddd...

We have a mature product that has used the Crystal report Viewer without serious ERRORs until now.

When we upgraded to .Net Framework 4 and VS2010 we get this problem when viewing reports with many pages or smaller reports with "Can Grow" table cells.

As no fix appears to be available we are consirdering rendering the reports to PDF and using an ADOBE viewer to view them.

Edited by: David Smith on Mar 17, 2011 11:00 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Note that on Mar 10, 2011 I posted the number of a Technical Escalation. Once that is done, the earliest fix would be in the next Service Pack (SP 2). ETA: July+(?)

Also, in the same post I offered to have a look at any "Saved Data" report that reproduces the issue as a relatively simple adjustment may resolve \ work-around the issue as it did with Keith.

My plea for report examples has so far not been answered. While two posters offered to share their reports, and I emailed both of them and I never got a reply. If you seriously want to share the report with me so I can have a look, let me know I will contact you over email. Else, July - though no promises...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

It sounds like you are having the exact same problem as I had, I looked everywhere for a solution and couldnt find one. I also saw the Dock property posting but that didnt fix my report. I wrote a sample app and sent to Ludek to re-create the exception using .Net4 framework. I upgraded from VS2005 through 2008 then to 2010 but only started getting the problem with 2010.

I strongly believe that if you export a report through the crystal report viewer to a *.rpt file and send it to Ludek he may have a workaround. It did work for me, I had dozens of reports that threw this exception in a release environment and got extremely frustrated with it which is why I raised the phone support case. When I followed the instructions for workaround it took me about an hour to fix the reports and I dont get the exception anymore. Users of my software are now happy

Anybody who has this problem, please export the report to file through the crystal report viewer (*.rpt saves data) and lets see if we can flush this little monster out!

Keith

Edited by: KDHarrison on Mar 17, 2011 9:12 PM

mlager, not sure if your still watching this thread, do you still get this exception?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody

This thread is marked as 'Answered' but where is the answer? Seems ideas have been thrown around but no definitive answer given to eliminating the exception being thrown. What 'fixable' is to be fixed? I use try catch events in all my code to try and rid myself of this problem but still get this same MouseMove error, is it an object related exception thrown by the CrystalReportViewer? Ludek, can this be related to the dock property of the control?

Sorry if I have missed something but I see this exception in my sleep now and my eyes are tired!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, this thread has been just about everywhere. It started with the error "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." using the CR 2008 Viewer in Visual Studio 2008.

The above then changed to same error on drill down after applying SP3, FP3.1

Then; Sometimes I'll get that exception immediately after pressing OK on the parameter screen, and other times the report will load, and I'll get that exception when clicking on an on-demand report

On Nov. 3, there is a mention (for the 1st time - I think) of an exception happening on OnMouseMove

On Jan 12, we get CRVS2010 NullReferenceException with an onMouseOver event added to the thread.

On Jan. 18, there was a suggestion on how to catch the error and probably this resulted in the thread being marked as answered. I do not know as I did not mark it as such.

So from what I see, we've evolved this thread from "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when viewing, to "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when drilling down, to the exception occurring with a onMouseOver event. All for CR 2008 and presumably .NET 2008. Lastly, we throw in CRVS2010.

Re. onMouseOver event. There is another [thread|] that I marked as "Answered" and locked due to some rather nasty communications that we had to clean up.

At the above referenced thread on Jan 20, 2011 I invited anyone experiencing the issue to supply a sample app that reliably demonstrates the issue. I have had no takers, just a number of rather nasty messages. I plead with all of you to help us, help you. Remember, I am not the only one supporting this product. E.g.; I am not the only one that has attempted to reproduce the issue with no success. If you have an app that will demo the issue, let me know. I will contact you off of the forums and you can share the app with me.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, I totally understand where you are coming from, but I think people's not getting you firm examples is because we can't reproduce this issue consistently ourselves. No matter how hard ive tried to find a consistent way to reproduce the "onmousemove" error. That's why I titled this thread "frustrating". I can reproduce this error (inconsistenly that is) in the simplest of code, as simple as putting the crystal report viewer object on the windows form, and loading a report into it, so I'm not sure what I'd send to you that would be of much value.

I don't pretend to understand the complexities of the control, but isn't there an onmousemove event that can be looked at that you could come up with a list of possible ways it could throw an exception that hasn't been handled?

0 Kudos

Hello,

I've contacted MLager off line for more info and a dump file.

One thing you can do also is to fully qualify all of the CR components. Example:

CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportOptions exportOpts = new CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportOptions();

We are thinking that possibly there is a collision somewhere in a common class name that only shows up in a specific order of events and resources being called....

A Dump file is a start.

Thank you all for your patience...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek

I have tried replicating this problem by writing new apps and modifying existing ones but can only get the exception to occur in my existing apps which load .rpt files to the viewer.

The only way I can replicate the problem and get the exception to be thrown is by quickly moving my mouse over the report as it is being loaded and whilst the message "Please wait while the document is processing" is being displayed. If I move my mouse quickly after the message has gone, I do not get the exception. As mlager mentions above it is inconsistent.

Exception variation 1 (which doesnt close my dialog form)

• Exception Text **************
                            • Loaded Assemblies **************
Exception: See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box. System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m) at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Exception variation 2 (which does close my dialog form)

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m) at CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam) at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context) at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form) at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner) at FMS.frmQuotes.LoadItemData(Boolean ItemUpdated) in F:\SQLQuotes Project 2010 FMSv4\frmQuotes.vb:line 4683

Not sure if this is of any help whatsoever but the exception does seem to only throw on my machine when my mouse is moving over the report ?? !!

I'm using VS2010 with CR for .Net 2010 and runtime for .Net 4

Thanks for your help.

Keith

0 Kudos

Hi Kieth,

I'm working with M also, curious, what kind of hardware do you have? Can you run BelArc Advisor, it's a free tool and lists everything installed including hardware.

Hardware and if any other versions of CR is what I'm interested in.

We have not been able to duplicate it here so looking for other things that are not common now...

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don

I can run the tool but how would you like me to post the results? I get this error on deployment machines too which I can run the tool on also.

Thanks

Keith

0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

Just curious if this is hardware related. It's about the only thing different now.

just paste in the hardware info in this thread. If you type in "code" your code or text followed by "code" this viewer won't try to format it. Replace the double quote with a open/close curly brace....

I tried to dup at home and I can't there either.

Thank you

Don

Edited by: Don Williams on Feb 11, 2011 12:59 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here goes ...

Operating System

System Model
Windows 7 Professional (x64) (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)

Dell Inc. Vostro1710 
System Service Tag:  (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 
Enclosure Type: Portable

2.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Board: Dell Inc. 0Y183C 
Serial Number: 
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A12 03/18/2009

319.97 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
246.22 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640A ATA Device [Optical drive]

Hitachi HTS723216L9A362 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB)
 -- drive 1, s/n 090218FC4200NCGLHJ2C, rev FC2OC30F, SMART Status: Healthy
ST9160411ASG [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) 
-- drive 0, s/n 5TG18LZK, rev DE17, SMART Status: Healthy

4088 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'JDIM1' has 2048 MB (serial number 00005149)
Slot 'JDIM2' has 2048 MB (serial number 00007147)

Local Drive Volumes
c: (NTFS on drive 0)
159.93 GB
94.13 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1)
160.03 GB
152.10 GB free

Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 2 [Controller]
Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller

Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
       (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1) [Display adapter] (2x)
Generic PnP Monitor (17.2 vis, January 2007)
Bus Adapters

Multimedia
O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD controller
O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO/xD Controller
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A

High Definition Audio Device

Virus Protection [Back to Top]
eTrust ITM Version 8.1
    Virus Definitions Version Not Up To Date
    Realtime File Scanning On

Other Devices
Standard Modem
Standard Modem over Bluetooth link
Standard Modem over Bluetooth link #2

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Physical Address: 
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows
Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card
 primary  

Physical Address: 
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

Physical Address: 
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Physical Address: 
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Microsoft Composite Battery
Generic Bluetooth Adapter
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (2x)
USB Input Device (2x)
Laptop Integrated Webcam
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
PS/2 Compatible Mouse
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Root Hub (7x)
Generic volume shadow copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

And for deployment machine ...

Operating System 	  	System Model
Windows 7 Professional (x64) (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
 	  	Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78LM-S2H
Enclosure Type: Desktop

3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded 	  	

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78LM-S2H
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F2 09/16/2009
Drives 	  	Memory Modules c,d
249.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
127.08 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS124 Y ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5'' format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Sony Storage Media USB Device [Hard drive]
 (4.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n  
WDC WD2500AAKS-00F0A0 [Hard drive] 
(250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAT1E821853, 
rev 12.01B02, SMART Status: Healthy 	  	1792 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
  	Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 	167.67 GB 	112.79 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 	82.29 GB 	14.29 GB free
Controllers 	  	Display
Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x) 	  	AMD 760G [Display adapter]
LG L1710B [Monitor] (17.1vis, s/n 83124, January 2003)
Bus Adapters 	  	Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (5x) 	  	High Definition Audio Device (2x)
Virus Protection [Back to Top] 	  	

eTrust ITM Version 8.1
    Virus Definitions Version Not Up To Date
    Realtime File Scanning On

Communications 	  	Other Devices

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

HID-compliant consumer control device
USB Input Device (3x)
HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (7x)

0 Kudos

Hi Kieth,

Did the Dell come with Windows 7 installed or did you or your IT department install an off the shelf version?

Thank you

Again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Came with Vista, then installed Win7 64 bit off the shelf

Edited by: KDHarrison on Feb 11, 2011 10:27 PM

0 Kudos

Cool... Thanks for the info....

What is your screen resolution set to and are you using multiple monitors?

Try changing it to 1280 x 1024 and the DPI to 96 and see if that changes the results.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don

Laptop 1440 x 900

Desktop ... Not sure, can only remote in via VPN so will have to check Tuesday when next in office.

I'm not using multiple monitors but will feed back on results when I'm at work and test suggested resolution and dpi.

Thanks again for all your help.

Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will also test this configuration. I'm on multiple monitors but am able to produce the error in a VM where it thinks there is only 1 monitor. I'll let you know my results as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don. Unfortunately in my case, your suggestion didnt help. Sorry.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This also did not correct my issue.

0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have no other suggestions other than to make sure your Video Card drivers are up to date.

Maybe it's your mouse driver is causing the problem also.... Try downloading their latest driver too.... When I first updated to Windows 7 I was using the Logitech driver for Vista and it caused a blue screen about once a week. Once I removed and installed their Driver for 7 I have not had any more problems....

We have not been able to duplicate the issue here or at home in various configurations.

I have a 54 meg report with saved data and the viewer is busy for a long time.... No errors being thrown...

If the updates don't help then all I can suggest is one of you purchase a case on line and then we can get the Developers to investigate using stack dumps and specific logging enabled. There doesn't appear to be any commonalities between each site or hardware.... that I can see.

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I guess my original thread title of "frustrating" was appropriate :)The hardest part is that I (and maybe others) deploy our applications to a large amount of people, it's a tough thing to ask and make sure that everyone who installs our products verifies drivers, updates, etc.

Have you tried going apesh*t with your mouse while a report is loading? I mean clicking, highlighting, moving, double clicking, very rapidly and agressivly. This seems to harass the monster behind the exception and cause him to throw it.

0 Kudos

Yes I did, as fast as my fingers and wrist will go, and yes I am as frustrated as you not being able to duplicate the issue.

So far I believe there are only 3 or 4 of you with the problem, or at least in these threads. Have any of you deployed your Beta app's to any users or is all of your testing in house so far?

One other thing I just thought of, are you guys using any of those third party viewer controls? I know we've had issues with them not returning the X/Y position of the click events properly. They adjusted border width and did not take into account the offset for their changes which caused our viewer to set the point to an invalid memory location. I don't recall the name now though.

I've also asked multiple times for test app's that will duplicate the problem and so far no one has offered or said they would but I'm still waiting.

Even if it's your main app we have a standing Non-Disclosure Agree and once it's been resolved all copies are deleted.

Problem is Escalations set to Investigation are on the bottom of the list for our developers to work on. Without a case or an app that can duplicate the issue the Business case for the issue is low priority.... Purchasing a case tells them you are serious ( figure of speech ) to get the issue resolved.

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

Latest update,

KHarrison has agreed to purchase a support case so we can get access to his test PC to try to duplicate and/or figure out what the cause is....

Thank you

Don

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Working with Keith, I and others here were able to reproduce the issue as described below.

The application must be using:

1) VS2010

2) CRVS2010

3) Framework 2.0

4) (this may not be a must - need to test more) Report uses crdb_adoplus.dll; in the report look at Set Datasource Location. Expand the "Properties" node. You will see Database Type: ADO.NET (XML)

5) There are three framework references throwing warnings. The references are:

System.Core

System.Xml.Linq

System.Data.DataSetExtensions

The warning is:

Namespace or type specified in the project-level Imports '<name of assembly above>' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. mouse3

Removing the above three references resolved the issue.

I would appreciate feedback from all of those on this thread regarding the above:

Are you using

1) VS2010

2) CRVS2010

3) Framework 2.0

4) Are your reports based off of crdb_adoplus.dll?

5) Do you references to the above system assemblies with the warnings?

Are you able to resolve the issue by either removing the references, or setting the project to use the full framework 4.0?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ludek, my application matches your scenario almost exactly as you described below:

VS2010

CRVS2010

.NET 2.0

I had a warning about System.XML.Linq

So I switched the application to the full .NET 4, and removed the System.XML.Linq reference. I was able to re-produce the error. My reports are not based off of crdb_adoplus.dll.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) VS2010

No. VS 2008

2) CRVS2010

No. CR 2008

4) Are your reports based off of crdb_adoplus.dll?

No. And problem occurs even when no data retrieval is occurring.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Having the issue using:

1) VS2008

2) CR 12 SP3 FP3.3

3) Framework 3.5

4) SQLOLEDB data provider

5) No references to the assemblies mentioned above.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ido, what about the framework and the suggested solution?

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SBC, I would then say this is a different issue as I can not reproduce it using Keith's report, or framework 2.0 (I actually did try his).

Two choices:

1) Create a new thread and supply as much info as possible, patterning your self on my possible solution post.

2) Create a phone case where we can work on this as we did with Keith.

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I was providing info simply to demonstrate that what you are describing is not the full picture.

I stopped participating once it was clear that your team is not pursuing a reasonable track (see my original proposal on how to handle this issue). It's time for me to stop participating again. I can't understand why a detective squad approach is needed for a solved crime (though I do understand you are working under the constraints imposed by the development team).

Regards,

- Ido

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

Not to take anything away from your abilities and skills but if we can't duplicate the issue how are our developers supposed to fix something that they don't see wrong and can't trigger the event error?

Because this is happening in both VS 2008 and VS 2010 it's possible some patch MS pushed out has broken the way CR handles the events. And at the same time it could be something our developers introduced with a patch also. It's low level enough to be buried deep in our code and only under specific circumstances....

Our code is full of mouse event handlers, not just the viewer controls, so it's not as simple as asking them to fix it. Especially when we can't trigger the error, until now with the help from a cooperative user/developer. It only happens with his report, we can't create reports the duplicate it either....

If you are not willing to help then just sit back and hope what ever solution configuration/patch we come up with resolves your problem also.

Thank you all for your patience

Don

0 Kudos

SBC, Just to clarify also, In your original post you said you updated to CR 2010 and VS 2010.

Are you still using 2010 or Cr 2008?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have never been running on VS2010 or Crystal 2010... I recently upgraded from VB6 and Crystal Reports XI R2 SP3.

0 Kudos

OK, then this is completely different. Please post a new question.

If SP 6 for CR XI R2 doesn't resolve the issue then it likely is VS configuration. If not then no options, R2 is end of patch life.

Thank you

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

You are probably right in that it seems like I'm not making sense to you or to Ludek. Just in case, I'll try one last time:

The location of the problem is in the Crviewer mouse move event. The problem is that, in some scenarios, one of the event arguments is not yet set to a valid object. Proposed solution: capture that error and ignore it in your internal code.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I share your frustration but to ignore an error that you dont know the cause of is poor programming practice. Its better we try at least to understand the problem rather than write-it-off.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My last update before I head home, put my taxi driver hat on and taxi the kids to soccer.

Looking a the three references (System.Core, System.Xml.Linq, System.Data.DataSetExtensions) in more detail...

1) If we create a brand new project on the "New Project" screen, at the top (next to "recent templates") we can select the framework. If we select framework 2.0, it is not possible to import System.Core, System.Xml.Linq, System.Data.DataSetExtensions. E.g.; framework 2.0 does not support these assemblies.

Only way I was able to get the three assemblies into a new project was to create a 4.0 framework project, then go to the properties of the project and change the framework there to 2.0. At which point we get the warning:

Namespace or type specified in the project-level Imports '<name of assembly>' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. mouse3

From the above, it looks to me like "forcing" those assemblies into framework 2.0 is a questionable strategy - perhaps better answered by Microsoft re. supportability...

2) Running DebugDiag on the application, results in a dump where no CR file is ever specified as being at fault. The only files DebugDiag reports are MS core files.

Based on the above;

1) Using assemblies not supported by the framework

2) No CR files identified as being at fault

it will not be possible to submit this issue to R&D for a fix as there is nothing to fix. Please do keep in mind that this is for CRVS2010. New thread should be created for other versions of CR.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I feel like we are in the same boat, we have nothing we can fix on our end either, as far as I can tell. I'm gnu to mess around with creating some projects in different versions of .net and will let you know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Experts,

I am also getting same issue which you guys are discussing about. And i can reproduce that almost every times. I have a sample application which can reproduce this issue. I can send through e-mail if anyone provide their Mail id.

I was working around on this to get proper scenarios.But unfortunatly not in 100% success.But I feel something is going wrong with drill-down fuctionality. Becouse if i set "crystalReportViewer.EnableDrillDown = false", reports are woking fine.

I have a subreport which is placed in main report's group header. If we click on subreport header, application crashes.

I am using,

VS2010,

CR2010(ref. version is 13.0),

setting Datasource through ADO.NET(XML)

Thanks,

Salah.

0 Kudos

Hi Salah,

See Ludek's reply on Posted: Feb 25, 2011 2:41. Run Modules to see if there are any older versions of Cr being loaded, there are 4 or 5 dll's versioned 14 that are OK.

And if you a have any Warnings when compiling you must take care of them.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I have seen Ludek's post already. But i am using VS framework 4.0. and i am not getting any warning as well. So according that post it has to work properly right? but no luck for me

In my application all my reference are versioned by 13.0.nothing with 14.0. From where i can get the download links for 14.0. or is it because of my 32 bit machine(XP)?

Thanks,

Salah.

0 Kudos

Hi Salah,

If you ran Modules you have seen the 4 or 5 dll's that were version 14. there is no download for them.

Did you set the Legacymode in your app.config file?

Are you getting the mouse event error or just crashing?

If you are not getting the mouse event error then please post a new question.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I have Legacymode in my app.config file like tis,

<configuration>

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true">
		<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/>
	</startup>

</configuration>

And i am getting the same mousemove event error which is mentioned in above posts,

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I can send you the sample with all these things. (I really dont know what i can do more on this.. My product release date is getting closer )

Thanks again,

Salah.

Edited by: salahudheen muhammed on Mar 3, 2011 12:17 PM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Salahudheen I've been able to reproduce the issue with framework, 2, 3, and 3.5 but not 4.

See if the suggestion in [this|http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vscrystalreports/thread/98bb4330-e3e5-46e2-abbb-76c730dddeab] post helps.

If not, at this time I'd ask that you create a phone case here;

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100?resid=S6I@hgoHAkEAAGsiyV...

Keith did create a phone case and while we have no fix for him we did determine the cause within 24 hours... (as per normal process, Keith's case will be refunded as will yours if this is a CR issue).

One other suggestion;

If you can, remove the references to System.Core, System.XML.Linq and System.Data.DataSetExtensions in your app and try that.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

None of the suggestions are working for me. :(. If phone case is the last option i have to go for a long process to get approval from my management side.

My reports was working fine with CR2008-Sp3. This issue started only after upgrading to CR2010. So its very clear that something wrong with CR new version. And I am not understanding, why you guys are not ready to take my sample application for testing.

Thanks,

Salah.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And I am not understanding, why you guys are not ready to take my sample application for testing.

- These are community forums. Not support. Support is only done via phone cases. On exception, some of us will accept an applicaiton to test with. This is an exception depending on many factors, including phone work load. E.g.; phone cases do take precedence.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anybody get this exception if all fields are set with CanGrow = False ?

.. And, all fields only show the first line of data?

Edited by: KDHarrison on Mar 9, 2011 8:36 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Kieth,

Can you create a new thread for this specific situation. Not sure if this is going to be related or not.

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don, when I change the CanGrow property I dont seem to get the exception. Ludek has an example .net 4 app that I uploaded to ftp and also which repro's the exception without the above references in use (Except datasetextensions)

I thought that if other people dont get the exception with trying this it might help.

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I think it's time to close and lock this post. If anyone still has a problem please post anew and copy the link to this one for reference.

Ludek has found a bunch of solutions. Anything new should be posted in the new post.

Thanks all for your patience and help in finding solutions we have so far....

Don

Update, Ludek and I were discussing this and we are going to leave it open and unlocked...

This issue isresolved in Service Pack 2 for CRVS2010:

<a class="jive_macro jive_macro_document" href="" __jive_macro_name="document" modifiedtitle="true" __default_attr="7824"></a>

Edited by: Don Williams on Mar 9, 2011 2:26 PM

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Nov 30, 2011 8:26 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello everyone

Working with Keith (my hero - honest ), we have additional points to all of the other points made in this thread. But to review and add the latest:

1) Do not start a project as framework 4 and then change it to a lower framework without eliminating references to any framework references that throw warnings. Specifically System.Core, System.XML.Linq and System.Data.DataSetExtensions will throw the following warning:

Namespace or type specified in the project-level Imports '<name of assembly above' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. projectname

(e.g.; some framework 4 references will cause issues if you change the project to a lower framework).

2) Using framework 3.5 should work with the System.XML.Linq assembly as this assembly is compiled for framework 3.5. It does not and for this case a Technical Escalation has been submitted to R&D (TE5000318553).

3) Using a specific report provided by Keith we can duplicate the issue with framework 4.0. Note that I have not been able to duplicate the issue with any other reports. However Keith has found that the report has text fields set to "Can Grow". If he changes this to "False", the issue appears to go away. I will be testing this as soon as I complete this post.

4) A call to all of you for help. If you can reproduce the issue with a _ saved data_ report, can you please share the report with us? If you can, let me know and I will contact you via email. Ido, I'd be specifically interested in one of your reports as you mentioned that all you had to do is throw a few boxes on a report, no DB connection and voila, crash on mouse move event.

Many thanks to all willing to help,

- Ludek

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

My case was a 2nd-level Drill-Down scenario.

I modified my application to bypass the viewer error so, of course, I no longer see the problem... 🐵

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK Ido. Sorry. This thread is so long, I went from memory (bad memory as it turns out...).

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm .. "my guess" is that this error pop up most likely on slow machines and that is just and info that you could take in mind when debugging onMouseOver event in you viewer.

I cannot reporoduce it constantly .. i get like every 100 time error, but as on customers its constantly like 50 per day.

I dont know if viewer have any onMouseMove events tho it is some kind of chain message.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Ludek:; if problem cannot be reproduced by your dev's team we did give you alot of information where and how this error pop-up.

Its on loading report, before report show there is message saying something "procesing..." and then we got specific error "onMouseMove". I dont think you have many events on mouseMove.

I cannot reproduce it at my wokr eather and its becouse our computer are much faster than custumores one and that loading screen is very short almoust instantly while at customers that "processing" message somethines can be few sec long.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Understood. But I can get the a long report load time duplicated on skookum fast machine by simply running a complicated report. Say one that has a 1,000 + formulas. And no crash...

You your self say that you can not reproduce it. So yes, we have been given a lot of info on how to and I appreciate that, but if you can not repro it, I'm not sure what we should be doing(?). I'll take any ideas - other than; go get a really old slow box :).

I have a feeling that this will boil down to video drivers, video resolution, mouse drivers, some other drivers (printer?) and or combination there off.

Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Jan 14, 2011 7:40 AM

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

Since you opened the door (requesting ideas), there is a clear unhandled exception in a clearly identified internal event. Ask the development team to catch and quietly handle that exception.

My guess is that they are using an event argument to instantiate an object that has not yet materialized. The detail is not that important. What's important is that ANY "Developer" worth that title should be able to resolve this bug within 1 hour of work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly !

Solving this problem with your developers wont be much of a problem, we can catch excaption too and silently ignore it but its not way that should be done. In all forms i have viewer to code error exception that will be, probably, solved is not solution i am looking forward.

This is really frustrating and if we can get info will this be fixed soon or not. If it wont be in near future i will have to handle it in my application and all other users will have to do the same. (dont you think its something wrong with that solution?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

How would you catch this exception? The control is throwing it outside of my user code... I've put my try statements around CRViewer.ReportSource = "..." but that doesn't catch the exception. Just curious how you would handle this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A quick update. I just installed CR 2010 for VS2010 for the first time, built a simple viewer, and ran a report. The first time it ran perfectly, the second time it gave the onMouseMove error we've been discussing.

One thing seems to cause the exception to get thrown more often. On the parameter screen, if you click around a lot, highlight some stuff, and be aggresive with the mouse, then press OK, the exception generally gets thrown.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well i didnt try it yout but i would do all block that load report do in try and catch nullReferenceExcetion, in catch block i would check if my exceltion.StackTrace contains "CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.OnMouseMove" and just ignore it.

in c# somoething like this:

try {

loading reports code here.

}

catch (NullReferenceException ex)

{

if (! ex.StackTrace.Contains("CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms.PageControl.OnMouseMove"))

{

throw ex;

}

}

I didnt try it yet since i am waiting for SAP Comunity to answer about fixing this soon or not.

It is not that simple for me to implement it, i need to make new version and autoupdate all my clinets so if you can try it and see if it works would be nice

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately "soon" isn't in our vocabulary. Our fix process is quite complex so it takes a while to get things fixed and out the door. The pipe has been closed on fixes going into SP1, so IF this was to be fixed (note the IF) it would be in SP2.

And to answer your next question, we haven't announced release dates for SP1 or SP2 yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, thank you for letting us know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

We are experiencing exactly the same problem.

Just one thing. It seems related to large multiline text fields in the report. If the fields contains 50 chars, usually the error is no generated, when the field contains more than 250 chars usually the error is generated. Error only preview, works fine printing and sending to pdf.

Now working with VS 2010, VB.NET, Windows App (tried in 32 bits and 64 bits environments). The error doesn't seems related to the operating system (reproduced in Windows XP, 2003, vista and 7). Nver used the beta version, just final release.

Any workaround from SAP will be apreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry for replying to an old thread, but I didn't find a newer one where this problem is discussed.

Has there already been a solution for this?

I have this problem with CRVS2010, I get a NullReferenceException with an onMouseOver event without any reason sometimes when opening the crystal report viewer control at runtime.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've not yet resolved this, but I applied FixPack 3.2 on my development system and then distributed the FixPack 3.2 runtime and the error seems to have become much less frequent. I would have thought 2010 addressed this because it seems like a straight up bug in the control.

Edited by: mlager on Jan 12, 2011 5:53 PM

Edited by: mlager on Jan 12, 2011 5:54 PM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As we all know, the problem with fixing any reported bug is that any technical support receiving a bug report from a customer needs to be able to reproduce the issue. While there are a number of posts on the issue, neither I not anyone else here has been able to reproduce the issue.

This may boil down to someone obtaining a phone case and sharing a copy of their image. E.g.; I suspect this is a specific environment issue. And I hope it's not a specific hardware issue or a combination of hardware and environment.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I have sample application in which I can reproduce this error. I dont know how to post sample application. Can you give me your email ID or any support email ID to which I can send it.

Thanks,

Ganesh

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ganesh, have you read my post re. how I was able to reproduce the issue?

What framework are you using in your app?

- Ludek

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is a typo or not. But I noticed you didn't declare your Report as a New object. I program in C# and it will always throw an "object reference ... " error if I don't instantiate my objects. This doesn't actually explain why it works some of the time though. I'd expect it to fail all the time.

Original Code

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Dim Report As CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

End Sub

Added New

Dim Report As New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

End Sub

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see this thread is marked as solved. Could you report back on what the solution was? I'm seeing this behavior in a scenario that doesn't involve data retrieval. The report is already rendered with data. A drill-down works OK, but a drill-down within that drill-down causes this failure. Top of the stack is:

-

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled

Message="Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Source="CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms"

StackTrace:

-

My winform app (vb.net 2008, Crystal 2008) doesn't have an OnMouseMove event so this looks like an internal viewer event that is blowing up.