cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent crashes when running Excel 2007, Xcelsius 4.5 and Xcelsius 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

I get frequent crashes with the following applications when running one or more of the others while also running Xcelsius 2008:

App versions:
 - Excel 2007 (12.0.6324.5001) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)
 - Xcelsius 4.5, version 4.2.4.3 (Build 1.1.0.2)
 - Xcelsius 2008, version 5.1.1.0 (Build 12,1,1,344)

While Xcelsius 2008 is running with either Excel or Xcelsius 4.5 open at the same time, one or more of the applications are prone to crash on a seemingly random schedule. I have to save frequently and have lost work and time on several occasions over the past couple of days.

Because I am up to my ears in learning the new tool, migrating projects and other priorities, I do not have the time to spend troubleshooting and tracing the source of the error(s). Hopefully the QA group can manage to do that. However, I do want to get some basic feedback and perhaps provide answers to any specific questions.

When the crashes occur, it's very fortunate that Xcelsius 2008 can be relaunched quickly, but Excel and Xcelsius 4.5 tend to complain loudly and getting those processes killed completely can be a real bear. Bottom line: The three apps are just not able to cooperate.

Edited to add: Just noticed that I may need to install [2007 MS Office Suite SP1|http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/itemdetails.aspx?iPage=0&index=5&ln=en-us], according to Windows Update. Strange the Excel was already reporting SP1. In any case, hopefully this improves things.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The client crashing problem has become a serious nuisance and has resulted in a couple of project delays here. Although I can't promise that I have a lot of time to help you reproduce it in QA, I would still appreciate it if someone could take a few minutes to acknowledge this issue and give me suggestions or help me troubleshoot it. Here are a few patterns to mention again, for starters.

Frequent crashing (99% guaranteed to happen):

- When running Xcelsius Engage 2008 while also running one or both of the following: Excel 2007, Xcelsius 4.5 Professional. Doing practically anything in Xcelsius Engage 2008 will probably result in a crash to desktop.

Somewhat less frequent crashing (75% crash chance):

- When running Xcelsius Engage 2008 with Excel and Xcelsius 4.5 Pro closed, and manipulating numerous objects on the canvas (e.g. repositioning within various panel or tab components).

Even less frequent, but still frequent enough to be a huge drain on time and patience (50/50 chance):

- Other types of standard use, without Excel or Xcelsius 4.5 Professional open at all.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would appreciate it if someone would take some time to work with me on these issues which continue to be very problematic and frustrating.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd recommend using the + and - keys whenever possible when using the object browser.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I'd recommend using the + and - keys whenever possible when using the object browser.

Yes, I use the keyboard whenever humanly possible. Of course, there are other object manipulations that do not have keyboard command alternates. In fact I would even say the mouse is required for most manipulations on the canvas.

Do you know if the upcoming Fix Pack or Service Pack might include fixes for crashing? As I said, they pretty clearly occur as a result of having Excel 2007 and/or Xcelsius 4.5 open while actively using Xcelsius Engage 2008 at the same time.

Not trying to knock the product (I do love most of the changes) but my personal experience with general stability has been pretty horrible so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't have any information on that, sorry f l.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> I don't have any information on that, sorry f l.

I see. Do you know who might? Not sure who else I would ask.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd also suggest upgrading your CX4.5 if you need it open with X2008. There have been 10 hotfix releases to CX4.5. You can get the latest one which is cummulative at [https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, I have updated both Office Suite and Xcelsius 4.5 with the above-mentioned SPs/hotfixes. After these two updates, things may have been a little smoother over all, but then again I was doing very little in Excel and Xcelsius 4.5 at this juncture so it's hard to say.

Updated version info:

App versions:
 - Excel 2007 (12.0.6324.5001) SP1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)
 - Xcelsius 4.5, version 4.2.5.7 (Build 1.1.0.2)
 - Xcelsius 2008, version 5.1.1.0 (Build 12,1,1,344)

(As you can see, Excel looks totally unchanged by the Office update).

Xcelsius 2008 was still exhibiting drag-and-drop issues as described in the other thread I created, however, and has even crashed as a result of dragging items on occasion. I am learning that when I first left-click on an object in the object browser, I must keep my hand completely still and move the object very precisely to where I want it to go. Even then, the outcomes usually seem fairly arbitrary and unexpected, in terms of deletion, promoting, grouping, ungrouping etc.

It is very difficult for me to come up with the exact wording to clearly describe what I'm seeing, but I think I can safely summarize it by saying that Xcelsius 2008 is just extremely picky about what the cursor does immediately after left-clicking on an object in the Object Browser. So picky that even a hairs-breadth movement can result in drastic, undesireable changes, such as an object moving out of all groups entirely, or in one case an object disappearing entirely and then crashing the application. Even when the app does not actually crash, it isn't easy to correct the unwanted outcomes.

As I've said before, I don't really have the time to really step through these issues and document them methodically for you guys in QA, but I might be able to investigate and answer specific questions if you have any.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My question has definitely not been answered yet, but I would like to get closure if that's possible (also would like to clean up my "unanswered" questions).

This issue remains a problem on occasion, but I have been slowly training myself to live with it. It took ten times longer to recreate several key projects since I could not reliably keep Excel or XC4.5 open while Xcelsius 2008 was also open, but I believe I have moved beyond the point where I absolutely have to have 4.5 and 2008 open at the same time and so have reduced the potential for seeing this issue often. I have also been training myself to move the mouse extremely carefully and precisely while moving objects around, which also reduces the potential of seeing that aspect of the issue.