cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forecasting in BPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am generating a forecast for next 12 months with data pattern from previous 12 months. I am using "automatic forecasting model". I am having 2 problems:

When i run the forecast function, the figures do get generated for the next 12 months, but unfortunately are all same! Why is it so?

Secondly any really good resource (apart from sap online help) on understanding forecasting strategies in BPS! The products in my forecasting model follow a seasonal pattern i.e. products sell a lot in a perticular season. But unfortunately i dont know much about the alpha, beta, gamma parameter values.

Please can some one help urgently! Harry I am counting on you to start with.

Regards,

Salman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Salman,

which release are you using? From NW2004/BW 3.5, there is a new functionionality for statistical forecast:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/79/64df3f3e054e1de10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul and Tobias,

Thanks you so much for your replies. I am still stuck and even more so now! I hve used the new forecasting function as advised by Tobias and now i am not even able to generate a new forecast. It says "7330 records read, 0 generated, 0 Changed"

Now guys I have specified the correct data in the reference why is not generating new data? PLZ HELP.

Regards,

Salman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys am i getting impatient or no one seems to reply! Plz some one help! I have got the deadline approaching and I need to give a proof of concept for forecasting!

Regards,

Salman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

I have managed to get the forecasting function to work. The reference data was not being selected and I found this out after running a trace. Can any one advice me on what values for ALPHA BETA AND GAMMA SHUD I PUT IN THE FORECASTING FUNCTIONS to get the best results....For your info the product range of the data set follows seasonal patterns....

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no need to set alpha, beta, gamma. Choose the flag "optimize paramters". The function will then have a longer runtime.

If you know that it is seasonal behaviour and your history contains several seasons you can also try out a seasonal model instead of automated model selection.

Hope this helps,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Tobias,

Thats what i have selected and I have also tweaked the step size to get more accurate results.

Thanks again for your input.

regards,

salman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys Still awaiting your reply to my post on forcasting algorithms....

regards,

salman

Former Member