cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Aggregates

Former Member
0 Kudos

This question is Not Answered.(Mark as assumed answered)

sheela agarwalNot Active Contributor

Hello friends,

I searched for Flat Aggregates,i get different answers...

What i understood with SCN.SAP is...

for example we have 1 cube with 4 dimensions like..

Dim1-->>CHAR1,CHAR2,CHAR3

Dim2--->CHAR4,CHAR5,CHAR6

Dim3-->CHAR7,CHAR8,CHAR9

Dim4-->CHAR10( it is a line item dimension)

And now if we create an Aggregate with name AGGR1

AGGR1 -->

Dim1: CHAR1

Dim2: CHAR2

Dim3: CHAR3

Dim10: CHAR10  is this a FLAT AGGREGATE???? If so how many characters can we have in a Flat Aggregate??

Please correct me iam wrong and in which scenario we go for Flat Aggregates?

Please explain me and pls dont suggest me the SDN links.

Thanks & Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sheela,

Yes, the aggregate created in your case will be a Flat Aggregate as each dimension in it has only one characteristic.

When you have less than 13 components, each will be allocated to one dimension by default. These aggregates are called Flat aggregates.

This works similar to cube with Line Item Dimension.

Regards

Chandu

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member210724
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sheela,

As our friends said, Flat Aggregates are nothing but a dimension with single component/characteristic. 

Line Item: This means that the dimension contains just one characteristic,this indicates that it doesn't maintain any dimension table; the SID table for the characteristic plays the role of the dimension table.

When to go for Line Item:

When dimension has a high cardinality.

High Cardinality : When the characteristic has more number of distinct values then it is called as high cardinality.

Dimension has a high cardinality when the number of entries is at least 20% of the fact table entries.

Example for Low cardinality is SEX: Male or Female i.e., only 2 distinct values.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Anand.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks friends,

But Aravind,Chandra and Ravi i have a question here.

I am creating an Aggregate with less than 15 characteristics so each dimension will have 1 characteristis.My question is how we create a different Dim for an Aggregate and assign more than 1 character to  that Dimension?

Pls iam little confused.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you defien an aggregate, you typically create an aggregate with several characteristics, not just one.  If you have queries that actually report on only one characteristic, then an aggregate with just that characteristic would make sense. You create your aggregate with just the characteristic(s) that are used in just one or a few of your heavily used queries.

If your aggregate has 16(with 3 sap defined dim) or fewer characteristics in it, the BW will make the dimensions line item dimensions - you have no say in it, it is what the BW will do. <b>Only one aggregate will be created.</b>

If you look at the aggregate fact table, you would see SIDs for the characteristics instead of DIM IDs.

Regards,

Aravind.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arvind for your quick response.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What ur example is an flat aggregates.

Flat Aggregates

‹ If an aggregate has less then 15 components, each component is put into a
separate dimension (“Flat Aggregates”)

‹ The dimensions (except the package and unit) are marked as “Line Item”
‹ Flat Aggregates are filled / rolled up without loading the data into the
application server (performance gain)

‹ Line item / high cardinality dimensions already specified in the InfoCube are
also used for aggregates for corresponding dimensions (also for non-flat
aggregates)

Regards,

Aravind.

ravi_chandra3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI

If u use all the dimension in the aggregates with one characteristic in it just like a line item dimension in a basic infocube , then it is called as Flat aggregates.

Hope u got it,

Regards,

RaviChandra