cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixes in a patch

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We are currently on 4.1 SP01 Patch 2.  We are looking to move to 4.1 SP02 in the hopes of addressing some stability issues.  In reviewing the Forward Fit spreadsheet for BusinessObjects it seems we will lose whatever fixes were in SP01 Patch 2.  I realize we could go with SP02 Patch 1 or SP03 and retain those fixes.

Anyway, my question is where can I find the list of items that were fixed in SP01 Patch 2 so we can make a determination based on what we will be losing?

Thanks,

Noel

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member196781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Noel,

Also helpful in this context:

As far as I understood, you are right.

SPs are "better" tested than a patch and a patch usually should only be applied if you have an issue that should be fixed by it.

An exception to this is always the patch 1, since this patch contains all fixes, which were implemented in prior releases during the code freeze of the corresponding SP.

Therefore SP2 "patch 0" for example, seems somehow incomplete to me and because of this, we install SP2 patch 1.

In my opinion you won't get rid of the following two anyway, since it's a generic error, also occurring with SP2:

• An internal error occurred while calling 'processDPCommandsEx' API. (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) (WIS 30270)
  • An internal error occurred while calling 'getSessionInfosEx' API. (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) (Error: INF )

The other two are not known to me, but could be the same.

As far as I know there is no such list for fixes. Only for the SPs.

Regards

Moritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Moritz;

I would like to disagree on the point you mentioned that SP's are better tested compared to patches here. SAP tests all the patches and SP's in an equal manner. The reason why would / may be looking in this manner would possibly be as patches are something which are simply to resolve some major issue in the product where as SP's provide most of the fixes simultaneouly.

I would also like to say that cumulative patches do work, in the best manner. The only problem that makes these different is that in a service pack you would get additional features which cannot be implemented along with a patch, as patches comprise of only bug fixes and cannot be used to provide a major enhancement or stuff like that.

Hope you would agree there.

As far as the errors that have been described, alas the processing issue of the webi engines means still needs some tuning with respect to the functionality and behavior of webi  reports with different data types. SAP would definitely work and come with a good solution on this.

former_member196781
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Arvind,

Therefore the prefix "As far as I understood".

But sorry, I can't believe that. They even have totally different release cycles.

Have a look at the following figure:

http://scn.sap.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-89999-255516/5fig.jpg

It shows that SPs always contain much more complexity than patchs and it should be plain to everybody that more complexity means more testing is necessary.

If SAP would test them exactly the same, they would either invest too much time for patchs or to less for SPs.

Additionally they simply have more time for developing/testing SPs as they have for patchs (release cycle for SPs is ~3 months vs. ~3-6 Weeks for patchs). And if you have more time for doing something, you just can do it in a better way. I think everybody agrees on that.

I assume that for SPs and minor relases there is a big test procedure targeting to test "everything", but for patchs there will be only tested what has been changed and maybe some small number of core functionalities, which were not touched at all.

And for the last part, my experience is different:

SAP tells that these are standard generic errors which can't be figured out in detail.

Usually caused by simply too big reports or customer report development bugs.

If you get other info on this, I would be interested in it.

"SAP would definitely work and come with a good solution on this."

-> I have never seen that in such a case

Regards

Moritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

I must say you are not entirely wrong, but thats not entirely correct as well.

I would ask you to reconsider about the minor releases. I am refering to the image you provided and you would see that most of the complex fixes are available in a minor release aka patch, whereas a vast number of fixes are found in a support pack which is slightly lesser in complexity

When they are talking of a critical patch its to plug a specific issue, kind of a immediate bug observed which had to be release for e.g. there was an issue with the JRE license expiry for which SAP came swiftly to issue a patch which was actually a critical patch applicable for all customers.

For your last statement, when I say SAP would come up with a solution I believe in it. Its because my past experience makes me understand that they do identify certain codes which takes longer time and causes such problems and tweak them accordingly.

Yes it has been identified that such errors are also caused due to load for which SAP has always suggested / mentioned the limitations of the product.

For e.g., quite plain and simple, one of our developers came up with a dashboard retrieving huge data and it simply would get crashed. Reason lot of data. So the only question I had as an Admin, is how much of the data being retrieved would really be usefull.

" After all faith is everything that we have. Trust one another " I think too much of philosophy here Sorry for that.

CdnConnection
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Noel,

If you don't want to loose SP1 Patch1 changes then your best bet is to upgrade to SP2 Patch1, it includes all the SP1 Patch1 fixes.

Regards,

Ajay

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My concern with going with SP02 Patch 1 is that I have been told that full integration is not done on patch releases, but is on the base service packs.  Is that correct from your understanding?

Thanks,

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP will including the previous patch fixes in the new patch or SP releases. You need to look at the forward fit plan, what is covered and what is not covered.

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, left out a key word.  What I meant to say is...

My concern with going with SP02 Patch 1 is that I have been told that full integration testing is not done on patch releases, but is on the base service packs.  Is that correct from your understanding?

Thanks,

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I ask what kind of stability issues you're seeing? We're having awful luck with SP1 Patch 2.

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just a lot of odd stuff.  Users will be working fine and then get errors with vague messages like these...

• An internal error occurred while calling 'processDPCommandsEx' API. (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) (WIS 30270)
  • FatalException occured. The cause was : com.businessobjects.corba.generic.container.proxy.internal.DependencyFailoverCallbackImpl$FailoverFatalException: Prepare failover failed (Error: INF )
  • session is closed. (Error: INF )
  • An internal error occurred while calling 'getSessionInfosEx' API. (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) (Error: INF )

I have looked in the log and it all is just a bunch of gibberish to me.

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the below link for the list of issues fixed

https://help.sap.com/bobip41

nscheaffer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That has was fixed for each service pack, but not the patches.

Noel