cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FI_documnet

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can some one explain me advantage of putting document types in variant of FI_document ??

As per my understanding if we are planning to archive entire BKPF and BSEG after certain time frame there seems no advantage to me by putting filter in doc type.

However I would love to read  a counter argument with valid support for that , kindly share your opinion.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

read my comments below not only from FI_DOCUMT point of view, it applies to all objects.

Using any of the fields in the variant is a matter of convenience and need varies from company to company; and within company may vary from country to country, department to department. What is an advantage for me may not be an advantage for you. I will explain.

1. From technical stand point, it is always recommended to archive data in manageable chunks than a huge single run. Else you might run into performance and resource issues. By the way, if you select the 'Detailed Log' in the Write variant for FI_DOCUMNT, without 'Only incorrect docs in det.log', if I remember correctly, the archive log can take a maximum of 1 million entries; anything above that, the write job gets cancelled.

2. This situation gets worse if you have not set proper residence time. Consider the scenario if you have not set any residence time / very minimal residence time, say 30 days and then you have started a Write job with millions of entries. Now if some business user wants to work with a FI_DOCUMNT which is older than 30 days, again if my understanding is correct, it will not allow the user to do any processing until the write job and all the delete jobs are complete. in certain cases, it would not even allow any new transactions to be posted.

Please try the above scenarios at your own risk .

3. Planning for the future. If you are using routing, based on say company code, year and document type, then it makes sense to archive based on document type as well. If you take a step further, you will understand that not all document types will have the same relevance and considering the scenario that different retention policies may have to be applied for different document types, then segregating based on document types will make sense. of course it will finally depend on the company's need.

your argument that user needs to know the document type to retrieve the archived document and that user needs to select several archive files to display the document does not hold good. I double the statement of Juergan that user should know what he / she wants. Apart from that, if you working on SAP version > 4.5, then by default you have archive information system, so you do not have to go the sequential access way for most of the objects. Moreover, to display an accounting document, you essentially need the document number, company code and fiscal year; document type is not necessary.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In addition to the point by Jurgen:

When you are archiving data for diversified customer, document type will help you segregate the accounting documents. It is I guess also the part of header contents.

Below is what the definition of Document Type says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document Type

The document type classifies the accounting documents. It is stored in the document header.

Attributes that control the entry of the document, or which are themselves noted in the document, are defined for each document type. In particular, the number range assigned to the associated documents is defined on the basis of the document type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks yogesh for your response , however I will be great if you can go through my reply for Jurgen and let me know your feedback.

Another question I have after going through your explanation is

1) If i dont put any documnet type in my varaint entire BKPF and BSEG doc which satisfy residence crietria will get archived.

In this case will it be a issue if my DMR , MR followed by FI docs will not be available for Contract archival objects. I mean to say their related FI data also will come under my object only. I will explain more on this point if required.

kindly let me know on this point also if you have some information

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gagan for the explanation.

- Answer to your question about reading/ displaying the document: You can suggest users to use another tcodes for e.g. ALO1

- On the second point of interdependency, Please explain a bit more.

Thanks!

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How much documents do you have for archiving?

If you are doing archiving for a big company that includes many million documents, then a more detailed segregation than just a period and company code makes quite some sense. you are quicker in finding old documents, especially if you do not create info structures and just use sequential read function for the rare cases that someone needs to check an old document, as you can directly go to the archive  for a certain document type and the program does not need to read all other document types.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen for your repsonse.

However I have a few doubts after going through your explanation...

1) What role will documnet type play in variant creation. Say for example I create seven variants to include different documnet types . This in turn will create 7 sessions after execution.

Because of this user has to select either of these 7 sesions while seraching for document number  , User also needs to know what type of documnet he wants just so that he selects right sesison name ... dont you think this will add confusion.

On the contrary If I have one session for each year containing all documents it will be pretty staright forward.

Let me know your feedback

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Isn't it sad if the user does not know for what he is looking? He probably posted the document himself. Such users should be very familiar with the document types.