cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feed data using XML

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Xcelsius gurus,

I need some advice on my scenario, we are building a dashboard off the data thats in the excel embedded on the xcelsius. The data is about 2700 rows, and we have 6 tabs.

Since the client has got some database issue we are asked to pull the data manually and use that for building the dashboard. So now with so much of data and lots of formulas and components is making things difficult.

I would like to request any of you who know about XML option i.e, to convert the excel data into XML format and call this data at the runtime in order to improve the performance.

So i know how to convert the data into XML format but i need some advice how do i go about using data connection.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can import your data into MS Access, create a query with all the calculations and denormalization if needed. Then, from MS Access export the query results to an XML data file. In addition, check "Schema of the data" when exporting. Then, map the exported XSD file as an Excel XML source and import with the XML mapping back to Xcelsius. In Xcelsius, create an Excel XML Map connection and point the XML data URL to where the exported XML data file is. From this point, in order to refresh the data, all you need to do is to replace the exported XML file with a new one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If the 2700 rows are fixed then i dont see any issuess here ..Creat an xml file againist the 2700 rows of data Em sure it is very easy to prepare the XML once the xml prepration is done..

Make sure you add an Excel XML map and pull the data ...So any changes later on those will afeect the dashboard dynamically..

So you prepare you Excel tabs.Since you are talking about 6 tabs Iexpect you to know which data to represent in diffrent tabs...

By doing so i dont see any issues here...

Please let me know if you need any help..I will tell you a other way round...

Which Requires a Database and .Aspx scritp which internally generate the xml Data And the xml data will be linked with xml data button..

But first get On with the procedure i expalined first....

I hope this will help you...

Thanks for your time...

Regards,

satish.p

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Sathish, i have a question. As i mentioned that i have a tab with 2700 rows of data, so when i convert this data into xml where should i save it. Where do i have to save this xml so that anyone accessing the dashboard with the xml connections should be able to open the dashboard. By the way your previous post was helpful and looking forward for you reply on this so that i can start converting the data into xml.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

C:\inetpub\wwroot\myfirstproject .You can keep your xml file over there .

Access:To make sure every one acces this once you generate the swf make sure you add that to the below URL

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

Go to global security setting pannel Once you click on that edit the location and you swf

I.g http:
10.4.34.5\newproject\dashboard.swf

So that this make sure every one acces it..

Please let me know if you need any help...

Regards,

satish.p

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish thanks for your valuable answer, we did find another solution that reduced the data drastically and helped us improve the performance.

Just to know more about this xml option and for those who might need this solution. As far as access is concerned, if i get it right we need to save the generated swf file in the

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html

And i tried to open this

C:\inetpub\wwroot\

but was not able to. This is where we need to save the xml files. And will this enable anyone to access the dashboard from anywhere right?.

Former Member
0 Kudos

C:\inetpub\wwroot\

To see that you need to configure IIS on your system..So the remaning is the same..Ask your IT person to do that..He will do that in 10 minutes okiee..Sorry i didn't tell that..I tought you might be aware of that...