cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F4 help - Structured search in webdynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my webdynpro application we have a text field for choosing a position with a F4 help option. Now with the F4 help we will be able to provide default Dictionary search help - H_T528B which works fine.

Now the problem here is that all the positions are listed in the sequence by their object ids. We are looking for an option where the user can look at the positions using organization hierarchy (Just like a "structure search" in R/3) and choose from it.

Is this possible in webdynpro ABAP? If not any other alternatives?

Thanks,

Prasath N

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

My guess is that you would have to create a custom Web Dynpro search help for that. The Search Help mechanism from Web Dynpro can automatically generate off of a normal data dictionary search help. However most of those hierarchy type search helps in classic dynpro were specially programmed and don't have equivalants yet in Web Dynpro ABAP. Consider using OVS or creating your own reusable Value help component (a Web Dynpro component that implements IWD_VALUE_HELP - actually pretty easy to do).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas and Muneesh.

I am using a custom view with tree structure and displaying it in a pop up window. Based on selection in the pop up window i am retrieving my data into my application. Now i have one more question.

For this scenario since my application is calling a new view (in the pop up window) i am using a button named "Search" to call the pop up (which contains my custom view with tree structure). I would like to avoid this button and have the same F4 help within the text box

I mean i would like to have the F4 help button that appears on the right side of the textbox (in case of standard F4 helps) to open up my application. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Prasath N

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasath,

To achieve this only, you need to implement the freely programmed search help. The help values that are displayed, i.e. the tree in your case will be a separate Web Dynpro component. This will be the help component. The selected value needs to be passed to the calling component (your application) through interface nodes. When you specify the context node, you will specify the input help mode as 'Freely programmed', this is to get the F4 help indicator to the right of the textbox.

Please have a look at the component DEMO_VALUE_HELP. This explains all the input help types. The Web Dynpro component FREE_VALUE_HELP in the same package is the component where the search help is coded. It uses a table, which can be done using a tree in your scenario. Have a look at the context mapping in these 2 components, which would give you a good idea.

Rever for any clarifications.

Regards,

Nithya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for your valuable time and help. Its working fine now.

Regards,

Prasath N

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

refer to these examples

wdr_ovs,wdr_ovs_test

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try ovs , with this you can solve.

OVS Component:

https ://

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/30/d7fa41c915da6fe10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Packages : WDR_TEST_OVS2,WDR_OVS,WDR_TEST_OVS

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/user-interface-tec...

/people/shruti.rathour/blog/2008/05/05/ovs-help-in-web-dynpro-abap

Regards,

Muneesh Gitta.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Try ovs , with this you can solve.

A true statement, but in Web Dynpro ABAP OVS is actually a bit overshadowed by the programmed value help. OVS is heavily used in Web Dynpro Java largely because WDJ lacks the DDic Search Help. In my experience I find the programmed value help to be more powerful and (once you get over the small learning curve) actually easier to use than OVS.