cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting Data Out of BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm researching what other companies are doing with regards to extracting data out of your BW data warehouse.

Do you allow data to be extracted out of BW?

If so, do you push data out to them? Or do the external systems pull the data out?

There's no right answer here. I'm just trying to get a feel for best practices as to whether external clients should pull data out or have it pushed to them.

By PUSH, I mean that BW initates the data extraction. And by PULL, I mean that external systems initiate the data extraction.

THANKS!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What you are referring to is called 'Pull' and 'Push' systems where the data flow is decided by who intiates the data flow - whether BW or the external system. Look for the above under infospoke - you will get what you want.

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anybody know that is it possible created an infospoke on a multicube/multiprovider?

When creating a infospoke you can only choose between

Datasource types: Basicube, Infobject (x2) & ODS, if you choose Basicube option and then do the f4 dropdown the drop down does not contain a list of Multiprovisers.

However if you type the name of the multiprovider straight into the field the system will accept it, and the spoke will activate.

I have tried to execute the spoke and it does generate a few data packets before erroring. I am unclear if the error is because the spoke is based on a Multiprovider or a different issue. Error message provided below:

System error: RSDRC / FORM AUTHORITY_CHECK RSDRC / FORM AUTHORITY_CHECK R

System error: RSDRC / FUNC RSDRC_BASIC_CUBE_DATA_GET RSDRC / FUNC RSDRC_B

System error: RSDRC / FORM DATA_GET RSDRC / FORM DATA_GET RSDRC / FORM DA

Thanks

Tony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Audrey,

It all depends on your requirement. Every company has its own way of data export.

In my case i use the BAPI RSDRI_INFOPROV_READ that will extract the deisred data and write the data to flat file with complex selection inside my program to do dependent select based on the data and massaging.

Best practice will depend on your requirement.If you don't have a complex scenario you can go with Infospokes and extract data to flat file and make it as a job.

Thank you

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not interested in technical details at this point.

I just want to know what Open Hub implemeters are doing. Are you pushing data out (BW initiating the data extract) or are external systems pulling data out (external systems initiation the data extract)???

I know that Open Hub can do both. But I want to know which way the user community is doing it.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you try Opun Hub Service? BW provides Infospokes to extract data to Flat file or database table.

Please see the below link,

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ce/c2463c6796e61ce10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope this helps

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we are going to use Open Hub. I should have mentioned that.

With Open Hub, you can set it up to have BW initate the extracts OR you can set it up to have external systems initate the extracts.

My question is... what are you all doing: having BW iniate or having external systems iniate extracts???

And if you can say why you choose that route.

I'm looking for best practices.

Thanks!