cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors occurred during extraction

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I have Multiprovider "Sales Margin Multi-Provider New Requirement- ZZRT_C01", which gets data from "Article- ZZRT_C01" and "Store/Article/Day - Sales Margin- ZZRPA_C01".

The corresponding data source for ZZRPA_C01 is "0RT_PA_TRAN_CONTROL", when checked for data from the extractor checker using tcode RSA3 gives message "Errors occurred during the extraction".

What could be the cause of the same and how do we correct the same.

Is this failure the cause of incorrect data in the data target? If not what is the cause & How do we correct the same?

All suggestion is welcome.

KS

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rathy_moorthy2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KS

Please check in RSA3 if u are able to extract the data without errors.

if u are able to do so, please check ur source system connection if it is ok?

Maybe there is some issue with the quality of the data. Kindly check the same.

whether it is giving u any dump?

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Rathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check Note 706842 - Error in /POSDW/BW_UPDATE_ISOURCE extraction module

Note 739970 - No full upload for the POS Analytics Content

Regards,

San!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

There is note in the SAP.help.com which say for 0PRA_C01:

The volume of data is very high for data retention at store/article/day level. We recommend that you restrict your data retention period to a maximum of three months.

How do we retain data for the period mentioned above?

Is it thru datatarget archieving?

If No

Do we move the data from the day level to week level than to the month level, and then delete the data after three months at the day level datatarget?

Also is the error due to data retained in the datatarget fro more then 3 months?

All answers are welcome!!!

K S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Read the data target as 0RPA_C01

The error is not intentional.

KS

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The issue was in the source system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI KS

I am facing exactly the same situation, could you pls guide me to resolve this issue.

Aftab

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got the same error in QA environment in RSA3 tcode for 0CRM_LEAD_H and 0CRM_SALES_ACT_1.

If u get the solution, pls let me know..

Best Regards

shanthi_bhaskar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

rise with basis team...

we also had this issue where we have to delete the setup tables and reran the setup tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not LO extraction.

The source system is in the same server, partitioned for the transaction system POSDM. The transactions are extracted through the data source "0RT_PA_TRAN_CONTROL".

Do you feel that the errors mentioned will be solved by deleting the setup table, tcode LBWE.

My system says "Transaction LBWE does not exist"

Pl. suggest.

Yours Truly,

K Sengupto

neelesh_jain3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Check whether you are using Correct Update Mode.

Could be like the Data Source do not support delta and you are using Update Mode D or I.

Or There is no init performed and you are trying to use Update Mode D.

Cheers,

Neel.