cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EP60 on Windows 2003 with 3GB option (can it?)

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We have configured the 3GB option (boot.ini) for Win2003 and now tries to allocate more heap memory for the EP java server process. However the server process does not start up with the new/higher heapsize of i.e. 1800MB. When falling back to the previous settins, i.e 1024 MB it works again.

Anyone tried running EP 6.0 (jdk 1.4.x) on windows with 3GB option and a heapsize larger than i.e. 1,7 GB?

Best regards

Tom

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

SAP's recommendation is to use 1024 MB for the heap size. You should split the j2ee into two cluster of 1024 each.

Prakash Singh

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash

Ok, we will consider this but preferes as few nodes as possible.

But I am still interested if anyone got the EP to work on a windows platform (i.e. 2003) with a large heapsize > 1500 with the /3GB option ?

BR

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

check out this site with very good explaination why the heap size is limited on a 32 bit windows machine.

http://www.unixville.com/%7Emoazam/2004/06/03.html

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Prakash

The explanation only explains the "normal" 32-bit behaviour, where the app. process can only use < 2 GB, but NOT the situation where the /3GB option is used.

With /3GB the process should be able to address more than 2GB memory, but still: It does not work for the EP (jvm).

Anyone succeeded?

Br

Tom

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have not been able to increase the heapsize for EP 6.0 to anything larger than 1024MB which by today's means is ridiculously tiny. If you set the max heap size to anything higher than 1024MB in the config tool. The server just does not start up and does not supply any error message.

We have 170000 users for our portal (yes, 170000 users!) and we need to cache data in memory in order to achieve required performance. However, we just cannot allocate enough heap for our next release of our portal. And as usual, SAP only restricts us. No solutions anywhere. It still surprises me that even for problems that are posted tens of times in this forum, no solutions/help is posted by SAP personnel. Are they too lazy to support their users or don't they have a solution at all or is there no pride perhaps ? Or are you too busy cooking up the next release of you portal server ?

Anyway, the 1GB limit is pathetic. Care about your users or you will loose them !!!

tombo_larsen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We are able to incread the heapsize to approx 1,5 GB. In SAPNET (service.sap.com) you will be able to find some SAP notes about rebasing DLL's (i.e. 736462), so that the adress space (for Xmx + MaxPermSize can be allocated ) with higher values than 1 GB.

If this is not enough, scaling with more instances (DI) (i.e. on other physical servers) and using load balancing can help. Or even better: Use 64-bit windows, will soon become the "new" standard.

BR

Answers (0)