cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EP vs. SAPGui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

we are starting with a new SAP implementation (R/3, BW, XI, EP, CPCC). We are wondering if going with a 100% EP solution for all endusers would be a good idea. This means no enduser will have a SAPGui installed on their PC and will only use the EP. The second question I have is there a difference in the transaction screen (e.g. MM01) between the SAPGui and the EP? It should be the same, right? Otherwise we would have to create every training document and testing document twice, which doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the help,

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MarcelRabe
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

EP is not the replacement of the SAP GUI, at least not yet. More and more functionality will be available through the browser in the next few years, but so far tradtitional SAP GUI users will also remain.

You can, however, use the new SAP GUI for HTML (WebGui) and place it inside the portal. As of release 6.40 of the WebAS, this webbased SAP GUI is really a close match with the traditional gui.

So it depends on what kind of functionality you want to offer to your end users. Some is possible with EP only, some isn't (yet).

Marcel

Former Member
0 Kudos

So for the method with placing the SAP Gui inside the Portal would I still need to install the SAPGui on every PC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes.

Have you looked into using the Java based GUI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alex,

<b>SAP GUI for HTML</b> is used in combination with the ITS technology. It runs inplace in the browser. The contents are generated by the Internet Transaction Server (ITS). The SAP GUI for HTML need not be installed separately on the client computers.

<b>SAP GUI for JAVA</b> runs as Java applet inplace in the browser.

<b>SAP GUI for Windows</b> must be installed locally on the client. It is started in the browser.

Please go through the below link for other information:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_ep60sp2/helpdata/en/7a/d2c23b6fc85106e10000000a114084/content.htm

Hope this will solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Srinivas GV.

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

SAPgui and EP are different. They will not look the same. You can use a "screen scrapper" type tool called ITS which will bring the R/3 transactions to the Enterprise Portal. As far as using business packages which I believe most run webdynpro, these will not look anything like the SAPgui transaction. They are rendered totally different. I don't think that all transactions from R/3 have been converted to a business package, so I think that you will need SAPgui for somethings.

Regards,

Rich Heilman