Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhancing Infoobject by Medium and long texts -->impact

former_member207487
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi mates,

i have 4 infoobjects they were set up with only Short text. Also for these infoobjects i created a datasource to upload master data via flatfile  and also for this infoobjects there exists a datasource for flat file and also one datasource as SAP system where master data is pulled to another system.  Transformation and Data transfer process for these datasources were also created. Since we are updating the infoobject as infoprovider directly we are not having an infopackage to fill master data to PSA. But now we want to activate the medium and long text for these infoobjects. What should be changesd what are the steps to be done  the datasources which already exist are transported.

Step by step description with the impact on other objects cubes ...etc would be nice.Since we are enhancing just text of some infoobjects i think the impact should not be so  immense.

Regards,

murat

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member182346
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Changing to medium and long text will not impact the reporting or any issue with modelling.

Fot text datasource you have to create IP and need to load correct data in infoobject.

since text data is no where mapped in extended start schema, and only be read via sid, you can do it easily.

Thank-You.

Regards,

Vinod

former_member186445
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is this a serious reply? it has to be a joke, only not a funny one...

m.

former_member182346
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah to my knowledge, it will work I must give a try.

former_member186445
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Changing to medium and long text will not impact the reporting or any issue with modelling.

as stated in the original post. Currently in the object only 'short text' is flagged. Please explain to me how you can load other texts, without changing the flags in the object and as consequence changing the transformation to map the correct source fields with the correct target fields?

--> = impact on modelling

concerning the reporting, if the object is defined as 'display short text' in the query, you will not show any other text. If you want to show the other text, you need to change the query.

--> = impact on reporting

former_member182346
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Definatetly one need to remove that flag (its common sense) and need to load the data by using Datasource - IP for the text of that infoobject.

what i mean to say here is "It will not affect the exisitng modelling"

I completely agree, one need to make that setting and load the data for required text.

Regarding change in query, I am still not sure as I do also have experiance in creating many queries but never specifically mentioned to pick which text. I guess if Murat's queries are not having such setting already done, there is no need to worry as Analytic engine will take care of it.

Sorry for the confusion if any.

former_member186445
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the 'Business Explorer' tab in the object maintenance.

probably the text type choosen is 'default'. This is actually the short text. so in this case this needs to be changed.

F1-help:

The text type can be used to further specify the display. The following values are available:

• Short text
  • Medium text
  • Long text

If the 'default' text type is selected, the shortest text is always displayed.

former_member182346
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great..thanks for reply. I ll definately try and see if short text is not maintained and setting default in BEx tab will show blank or medium/long text if maintained.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member207487
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

thank you very much for your replies. What i did so far is to enhance the infoobject with long, medium text. Short tesxt was there before i changed. Then i adjusted the upload file changed the Transformation of Flatfile Datasource and uploaded the new csv file wit Short, medium and long description. Now the Flat file Datasource is ok so far but we also have generated Export datasources and there still the transfer rule is only with Short text gets mapped. I can see in the transfer structure the two new fields 0txtmd and 0txtlg) but they are not mapped and there is no infoobject for mapping these two fields. In communication structure i can also see the two new fields but somehow they are not being considered.

How can i add them to the transfer  rules. How can i map them in the transfer structure?

Advices are welcome.

Thanks,

murat

esjewett
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moved this question to the BW space. Please use this space for questions regarding BW.

Regards,

Ethan

(moderator)

former_member207487
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member186445
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first of all, the extractor for texts is not the same as the extractor for the master data (attr).

only change will be to map the source field to the medium text instead of the short text.

the real impact will be in the output of the queries. In the query definition make sure the text to be shown is the medium one, else no text will be shown (#).

hope this is clear.

m;

RamanKorrapati
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Murat,

Along short text field your going enable the medium and long text. if this is the case, there won't be much effect.

If your laoding data from source, add required fields to your data source, un hide, activate and replicate into bw side.

after adding above two objects, you need to map these objects (wherever used)  to target obejcts and activate transformations, DTP.

You need to load full load to get the data into added fields.

All changes need to move across the landscape thru transport request.

Thanks