cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhance the existing infocube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I got a requirement to enhance the existing info cube. That cube is loading the last 4 years data. Now we want to add(enhance) two more fields. Then how to enhance that cube with out distrurbing the four years data with the new two fileds. Can anyone come across this situation please assist me.

Thanks and Regards

Satya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

one option could be create a copy of the existing cube and then add two fields,

along witht the updates rules for infosource also create a updates to the old cube( just for pushing 4 year data to this new cube).

regards

Shashi

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would say it is a very common thing to experience that the world changes...

I often meet confusion on the subject in data warehousing. In contrast to OLTP changes may take effect without thinking too much about history. In DW environments however, it is important to have a clear picture of handling changes. The basic rule for handling changes is in my opinion, that the change can take effect for the future only. I think most people would aggree that changing history is problematic...just see what happened in "Back to the future" :-).

This general line of thinking will save You a lot of trouble reloading Your Data Warehouse and Data Marts. Of course there will be situation in which a change must take effect for historical data such as errors found in productive enviroments, but the basic rule must be not to reload when it comes to changes in the functional requirements. After this very general advice I will add a more concrete advice:-) If You have high volume cube You need to plan for the dictionary changes during release of Your changes to production as it may need massive space for roll back during the DDIC change of the facttables and dimensiontables.

GFV
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Satya,

you can add new InfoObjects (chars / keyfs) to Infocube definition, but you must be aware of the following:

- past data will have # value for chars and 0 value for keyfs

- you will have to define new rules to udate such fields (the actual Update Rule will be de-activated ...)

- depending on Infocube size the transport could take a long time to be executed

If there are some logics to feed new InfoObjects using the actual ones you can use the Export Data Source create a new Update Rule to re-load the InfoCube ...

Hope it helps

GFV