cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedding Editable pdf into crystal reports for vs2010

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to insert an editable text field into a report.

I figured the easiest way to do this would be to create a pdf that contains the editable text field that I need. Then embed this into the relevant group section of my report.

The trouble is that I cannot seem to embed the pdf so that it is still interactive. It just seems to default to a static copy.

I specifically need to embed the document I do not want to link it.

Please help!!

I am running Adobe Acrobat Pro X (10.1.12)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Shanti,

Not possible. Once the image or PDF is in CRD it becomes static. Only interactive UI parts are parameters and only when refreshing.

Only way I can think is to make the PDF interactive outside of CR and then when complete then you can embed it into the report.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

Thanks for your response.

The pdf I am trying to embed is already interactive in that it is an Acrobat pdf form with one editable multi-line text field.

If I open the form outside of crystal it acts correctly.

Is that what you meant?

Do you have any other suggestions as to how I can show an editable text box for each detail item on my report?

I have tried using itextsharp to add the text box after the report has been saved as a pdf, but that requires exact coordinates in order to place the box onto the report. Of course I cannot provide those as I could have 1 to infinity detail items to create the box for.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi Shanti,

The limitation is CR converts the page into and EPF format which is proprietary and no hooks into the objects other than what we allow, ToolTips and hyper links is about it. But those are for info or redirects only, nothing capable of writing the data back into the report.

But I like where you are going with this... I can't say we can do it but to get you started add your request to Idea Place. R&D does browse these for new features....

If Ido see's this post he may have a tool that is capable of this also...

For now though only way would be to edit the PDF outside of CR and then insert it, I believe they can be dynamic, linked to a place on your HD.

Check the link option on and it should load on refresh each time.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don,

However I do not want to create a link to a document on the HD for the following reasons:

• it is not the intention that the users should update and store this info.
  • the annotation  will likely differ for each detail item, and we do not know until execution how many will be required. Thus linking to a pdf on the HD that would  be  updated for each item, does not make sense.

I have placed the idea in the Idea Place as you suggested.

Answers (0)