cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse overview screen reporting high CPU usage when server shows low CPU usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is a newly installed HANA instance that we were going to hook up to a test region. After being up and running for a few days the overall performance went to crap. Everything is slow - ie: viewing the overview screen in Eclipse takes 3+ minutes. When it finally loads it is showing very high CPU usage:         

However, we can watch the server while we wait and it isn't using any CPU at all... It is sitting at 99% idle!

I can't find anything in the service marketplace that matches this scenario... Any ideas where I can start? I am waiting on our Basis team to raise an incident but thought I would ask here in the meantime in case anyone has seen this before.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The top output doesn't show the processes or the actual hostname you're looking at.

So right now, I'd guess you're actually looking at a different host.

Have you checked the system LOAD graph? Does it show any CPU spikes?

The point that the HANA studio screen returns slowly when it reports a extremely high CPU load is at least consistent.

Do you have a grasp on what queries ran during the respective timeframe?

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's definitely the right host.

The load graph for the last day and a bit shows the average CPU at 1% with the max being 44%

There have been no queries running at all... There is no data or any users in this system. It's literally a fresh install of SPS11 that has just sat waiting while we get the DMIS components installed in our Netweaver system so we can hook up SLT.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, no option to say what is going on based on the provided information.

However, seeing that the savepoint and log backup activities (at 15min/5min intervals) get the idle  system to ca. 50% CPU usage seems to indicate there is some issue with the setup of this machine.

What comes to mind would be: cpu power states setting, virtualisation, OS level limitation of CPU cores, Hyperthreading, transparent huge pages,... all things to be checked.

Is this a setup from a certified HW vendor offering?