cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically restrict a query at run-time based on a group of selections

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Relatively new to BW so apologies if this is a little simple.

I have an InfoObject in a cube named 'ProductLine' which is also available on a 3.x query I have built in Bex.

At run-time, I am able to 'Select Filter Values' on a group of values I want displayed in the report. This works fine.

What I want to do is allow a user to be able to select a 'group' of filter values to quickly display a set of products.

Any ideas how I can do this? I almost want a calculated characteristic and create a new one (with restrictions) for each of the product sets I want to display

Thanks!

Ian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks - I will go with the creating a hierarchy.

I don't think the range will work as the values do not run in any sort of order.

Thanks again

former_member182343
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hopes, you can use Charecterstic variable and make it dynamic by using user entry processing type .

There make it as range , where user can enter range value.

Regards,

rvc

gunesbt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you elaborate more with the filter values and corresponding report output if possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply..

Assuming the InfoObject contained A, B, C, D, E

I can quite easily open the report at runtime and restrict the report to C, D, E. However, I need to select quite a few of these individually.

What I would like to do is be able to do is display a 'grouped' selection of restricted values in the report. In other words, rather than selecting C, D, E I would just select a free characteristic which has been pre-filtered with C, D, E. I would then also like another group for B, C, D from the same data source.

Does that make sense?

gunesbt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just create a hierarchy based on the infoobject and assign necessary values to nodes.Then select just one node to show lots of values.So you must create one hierarchy based on the infoobject and one hierarchy node variable(not hierarchy variable).

Here is the steps to create hierarchy:

You don't necessarily load from flat file which is described in the thread.It is recommended for huge hierarchies like countries/regions in the world.Just find your infoobject in RSA1 then right click,maintain hierarchies, then create your hierarchy and its nodes.

And here is the steps for hierarchy node variable:

Regards,

Güneş BÜYÜKTANIR

Edited by: sunnybt on Jan 12, 2012 5:01 PM