cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate planning objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I want to copy from existing plng area. Will there be problem if I copy the subordinate objects without changing the technical names? That is, can plng objects , eg. plng level, exist in another plng area? If 1 plng area object is updated, how will the other plng area having the same object be affected?

And what is the best way to duplicate plng folders?

Hope to get your comments / hints.

Mirella

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mirella,

After you duplicate a planning area and/or level they are 2 separate sets of objects and changing one set does not effect the others.

Also, if you copy the planning folder, it refers to the original set of planning area/level so you have to adjust to point to the new set of planning area/level.

Sorry, could we step back and ask you why you want to duplicate another set of planning area/level and the folders? If you are leaving them basically the same, then you should look at more variable driven methods with 1 set of planning objects. If they are different planning layout and methods and you just want a quick start to do similar but different processes, then you need to rename the descriptive names and sometimes I rename the technical name in line with my naming standards or to facilitate my specified authorization concepts. i.e. similar layouts but open for update for some users and display only for others in 2 levels I would name different since it is different groups which need to be authorized differently.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

We decided there's no need to copy everything, just folder level will do.

Thanks.

Mirella.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mirella,

There is no need to change the technical names of planning levels and other subordinate components. I don't think there will be any effect on copied level/subcomponent when you change the original one. And the easy way to duplicate the planning folders is copying and modifying as per the requirements.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Raj,

That was very useful information. Thanks.

I can now assume that if I have multiple plng folders that I group logically, and now need to duplicate another set, manually copying individual folders is the way to go.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls. note that though you could copy the objects, it does not mean you are sharing that object for both planning area. It is two different objects, hence, if one object is changed under area 1, it does not affect the cloned object under area 2.

regards,

Nataraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mirella,

Planning objects can be copied even without changing the name when you are coping the planning area. You will not get any effect in the copied level when you update the original planning level or other way. Planning level are always linked to planning area.

You can duplicate planning folders just by copying and modifying if necessary.

Hope this help.

Thanks,

Raj.