cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Web App. Support Sort on columns other than the 1st column

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can someone help to confirm if Web App. Support sort on columns other than the 1st column? I have a Web App. Only the first column can be sout but not the others. If I swap a column to the first place, then it can be sort. If sort on other columns is possible, what kind of configuration needs to turn it on?

Thanks,

Frank

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Heike and Ashish,

Thanks for the information. I also confirmed with SAP OSS. Just as Heike mentioned. BEx sort is compound sort from the left most columns. BEx does not support sort individual column that is not the left most column.

Thanks again,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your response. My second column is still a characteristics. I cannot use Top N on this field. Do you have other suggestions?

Thanks,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

In case of Characteristics, select the characteristics in the Query Designer and in the context menu select 'Properties'. At the bottom of the screen you will find a option "Sort Order".Please define this.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any issues.

Regards,

-Ashish Goel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish,

The "Sort Order" you suggested only works when the characteristics is in first column. If it is swapped to the second column, then the sort stop working. Do you know if the sort not working in 3.1C is my system setup issue or it is BW's limitation?

Thanks again,

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

BW sorting is OLAP sorting, meaning, that sorting takes place within group levels from left to right.

Imagine a list

Product group    Product 
A1               B1
                 B2
                 B3 
A2               B1
                 B2

Within characteristic member A1 Product will be sorted. It is not possible to sort on Product alone.

But you can sort on keyfigures (and if no sums are shown, you could break this grouping behaviour while sorting on keyfigures).

Heike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

It's tough to change the context menu on column 2.

Anyway, one alternative is like if you have say Sales in column 2 and you want to sort this.Go to the Query Designer and define a condition on this column by saying "Top N" or "Bottom N".

It will solve your purpose mainly if you want to sort other than column one

Hope this helps.Please reward the points if this answer helps you and also let me know if you have any further query.

Regards,

-Ashish Goel