cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution to Client PC's

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently in process of re-writing VB6 app(Charity Accounts) into VB2010 and have now included Crystal Reports.

It's going to be a long task but I thought I had better check up on distribution before I go any further.

I  would like to know a couple of things please.

1.     I won't know if a client pc is 64bit or 32 bit Windows, do I have to create 2 different set-ups with the 32bit .msi in one and the 64bit in another OR could I just force installation onto the 32bit Program Files(x86).

2.     Is it only the .msi file I need,

3.     Having asked that, is there another/better way for installation?

finally,

I'm thinking of using Inno Setup to install my VB project, will that cause a problem with Crystal Reports.

Many thanks in advance,

Tim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188030
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Here are the answers to your questions to the best of my knowledge .

1.     I won't know if a client pc is 64bit or 32 bit Windows, do I have to create 2 different set-ups with the 32bit .msi in one and the 64bit in another OR could I just force installation onto the 32bit Program Files(x86).

Depends on your choice. We do not advice to use the ANYCPU target platform.

So if the target machine is 64 bit set the target platform of the application to X64 and for 32 bit machines set it to X86 while developing and compiling it.

If creating two saparate setup packages for 32 and 64 bit machines is feasible for you.. way to go.

Or you could just set them all to X86.. really depends on you but what matters is the target platform of th app to be set specifically to avoid future issues.

2.     Is it only the .msi file I need,

For deployment you need Crystal runtimes, they could be Merge Modules (.MSM) or Server Installers (.MSI) or even the Click once. See the Deployment section in the CR for VS 2010 .NET SDK Develper guide.

3.     Having asked that, is there another/better way for installation?

The Deployment procedure from the above Dev guide should tell you that.

Frankly, I dont have any idea about Inno setup, lets see if someon else can share some light on it.

See below wiki, may come handy in development as well as while deployment.

Getting started and moving ahead with Crystal Reports .NET applications.

- Bhushan

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Thank you for your speedy and useful reply.

I am now looking at the resources you highlighted, hopefully I'll be able to work it all out from there.

Certainly food for thought.

I've marked this answered and will have to post again if I get really stuck.

Warm regards,

Tim

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do the 2010 runtime files work with Crystal Reports 2013

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The CRVS 2010 runtime will run reports created in SAP Crystal Reports 2013 with no issues.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to add a few more resources to Bhushan's post. See the following:

Deploying Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 runtime

Using Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 Merge Modules (MSM) to create a Setup project

Unfortunately, like Bhushan, I have little knowledge of Inno (other than  that it exists). Thus all of the resources re. runtime installs you will find here will be referencing VS .NET or InstallShiled - at best.

- Ludek

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ludek,

As per my reply to Bhushan,

Thank you for your speedy and useful reply.

I'll look at the extra resources, I'm sure they'll help.  Still wandering in the dark a little, but I'm sure I'll get there, eventually.

Warm regards,

Tim