Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between 'receive' and 'fill in' when creating substitution rule

former_member207065
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

What's the difference between 'Receive My Tasks' and 'Fill In For Me' when creating a substitution rule? They are almost the same except that fill in needs a take over action. Why not remove the fill in selection if they have same function. If fill in is useful, how to use it?

Best Regards,

Abe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member207065
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. I still have a question. In case of unplanned absences, the original person has to create a fil in substitution rule in advance. But if the substitute clicks the take over button right away, the original person's tasks will be visible in the substitute's UWL while the original person has not been absent. This is not allowed. How should I handle this?

Regards,

Abe

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abe,

What do you mean by "this is not allowed"? This is how substitution works - both the original agent and the substitute can see it while it is in status READY. So that if the original agent leaves later than planned or comes back early they can continue their work as normal.  Why would the original person not be able to see it? The substitute is only ever acting on their behalf. 

Once someone starts executing the work it is reserved to that person and only they can see it - so that you don't have two people working on the same work item at the same time.

And of course once the work is completed it is removed from all inboxes.

Regards,

Jocelyn

former_member207065
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn,

Thank you for your reply. My mean is, the original person's work must be taken over by his substitute when he is absent. If the fill in substitution rule is created, the substitute can take over the original person's work at any time, even when the original is still at work. Generally speaking, the work should be processed by its owner as much as possible. As long as the original person is at work, it's better to have his work handled by himself. But there is nothing to prohibit the substitute to take over the substitution rule when the original person is still at work.

Best Regards,

Abe

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abe, That's true -  other than the start/end date of the substitution which the original person controls.   Think of fill in for me as assigning a backup person for yourself.  It would be normal that those people would work fairly closely together anyway.   The whole point is that it is intended for unplanned absences... so how does this system know you aren't absent? With an unplanned absence you probably haven't and may never submit a leave request - you might be sick, you might be in a workshop or offsite meeting.  I would see this as a change management/education point - that when you assign a substitute you are choosing someone who will act appropriately and in the appropriate circumstances.  Often you should have discussed this with the substitute as well.  After all, if you can't trust the people you work with I think most people would consider changing jobs...

Rgds,

Jocelyn

former_member207065
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jocelyn,

Thank you for your reply. I understand. If I create a fill in rule, I should tell the substitute to click the take over button only when I'm unplanned absent.

Rgds,

Abe

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Exactly!

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

abhijeet_mukkawar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abe,

If you choose "Receive my tasks", the assignee will immediately start seeing your tasks. This is called as active substitution. here Assignee does not have any option to deny your tasks.

If you choose "Fill in for me", the asignee has a step to do in UWL to receive your tasks. He needs go to the 'Manage substitution rules' screen and 'Take over' your tasks. Only then your tasks will be visible for the assignee. This is called as Passive substitution. Here the advantage is that if you go on an unplanned vacation your assignee can take over tasks. Assignee has the option not to take over as well.

-Abhijeet

Jocelyn_Dart
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Abe, Abhijeet is correct.  To explain a little further:

The purpose of "Receive my tasks" is for planned absences - e.g. I am going away on leave and want to assign someone to do my work. So my work is seen by both me and my substitute for the defined substitution period.

The purpose of "Fill in for me" is for unplanned absences - I'm off sick, stuck in a workshop/meeting/traffic/airplane holding pattern - and need someone who can execute any urgent tasks if that happens.  So the substitute has to know how to act on my behalf but only if its something urgent.  They wouldn't normally go into the original person's inbox unless asked.  Although that said, it is a slightly sneaky way to give someone else access to monitor how well someone is handling their inbox, e.g. if your fill in for me is the manager.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Jocelyn

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos