Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deliver output of Batchjobs to end-user in Excel or Dbase format

jo_degraeve
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello group,

we have an increasing request from end-users to run reports in background at night and have the result sent to the them in Spreadsheet (Excel) or Dbase format.

At the moment, the reports are put in CSV (Comma-separated values) format on the IFS of the Iseries and the users have to run an FTP procedure.

We are looking for a more transparent way to do this. We hate to give all these users Iseries login names to get their files.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for this requirement ?

Thanks

Jo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jo,

If your goal is not to maintain iSeries user profiles for sending reports, would you consider Emailing?

As the current reports are available on IFS already (in an acceptable format, I assume), you can send those reports through CL and/or ABAP programming at least - SMTP can be configured on SAP and/or i5/OS level. Or configuring distribution lists in Tcode SO23, and sending from the background jobs directly (double-check the format please).

Best regards,

Victor

jo_degraeve
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

The current CSV formatted file is not the right format for our users.

They actually want a DBF formatted file which can directly be imported into their Dbase application

Jo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jo,

We ran into a similar request and solved it by making share for a windows server under '/QNTC' in the IFS. A user was setup in both the iSeries and Windows environment. When Windows 2003 is used, special security pre-cautions have to be taken.

We created a home made tool, which reads a directory and copies all files do a destination directory with that special user. In the end an e-mail is send to confirm the copy and the number of files.

With all the functionality of i5/OS e-mailing these files is also an option, but this will require some skills.

Another option might be to go for some Exit Point security package and restrict the access to the IFS for the users. This in combination with the iSeries Netserver.

If you have any further question or want some help with the above just let me know.

Kind regards, Rudi van Helvoirt.