cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delegated Portal Content Admin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to configure delegated portal content administration. Here's what I've done so far:

I've created my own role called 'Delegated Content Admin', which is based on the supplied Content Admin role, except all worksets and iViews except for 'Portal Content' have been removed. The role has been given similar access to the PCD, except that permissions to some of the Wizard iViews (such as the ROle Wizard, Workset Wizard, etc) have been removed. There were also some permissions granted to a few Security Zones.

I've then created a group for the specific set of users, call it 'Project Content Creator'. This group has the 'Delegated Content Admin' role. The group also has full control access to a specific section of the PCD.

This all works great - the user's canonly see a part of the PCD, and they can only create iViews. This is just what I want.

However, we also have a BI component where Iwant these same users to be able to publish BI content as iViews. Using the BEx broadcaster, then can select the PCD folder where they want to store their content, but when they try to execute the publishing step, they get this error:

Error while instantiating an iView descriptor

In the logs on the portal, I see this exception:

A message was generated: 
ERROR
com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.BroadcastingException ErrExportToPcdInstDescr
Log ID: 001CC4EE6212008200000010000068DF000449E6FC5ED587
Stack trace: com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.BroadcastingException: Error while instantiating an iView descriptor

Has someone setup delegated content admin where BI broadcasting is involved? I think I'm missing a permission somewhere, but where?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member195896
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

this seems like an authorisation issue. From your post , you have said that you already have given full rights to that folder in the PCD for the user who is trying to publish from WAD.

1) Have you assigned end user and admin permissions to all the BI java components in the pcd to this customised content admin role? Try doing that and it should resolve your issues

2) The export from WAD requires some security zone permisions on the pcd content editor and pcd components in the permissions section. If you remove these permissions , then the users in your role will not be able to use them. try increasing these permissions by components.

I am pretty sure this will resolve your issue. Let me know if it does not.

cheers,

Shantanu Garg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Near as I can tell, I've given the role all the same permissions as the Content Admin role. However, it's possible that I've missed something.

Have you created a role similar to this that uses the WAD to publish content to a restricted area of the PCD? Of so, do you have a document listing the auths required?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm resurrecting this thread, as I now have some time to work on this issue again.

To ensure that I have given my new role the correct configuration, I did the following:

- copy the existing Content Administrator role to a new 'Restricted' Content Administator role

- grant this new role the exact same PCD permissions as the original role

- grant access to the new role, while removing access to the original CA role.

The above steps give me full access to the PCD, same as the original CA role. However, once again, when I try to publish an application from the BEx Web Application Designer, I get this error:

With this stack trace on the BI Portal:

A message was generated: 
ERROR
com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.BroadcastingException ErrExportToPcdInstDescr
Log ID: 001CC4EE6212009300000011000075BE00045005E46941D1
Stack trace: com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.BroadcastingException: Error while instantiating an iView descriptor
	at com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.impl.DistributorPcd.distribute(DistributorPcd.java:110)
	at com.sap.ip.bi.broadcasting.runtime.RfcListenerRSRD_X_DISTRIBUTE.handleRequest(RfcListenerRSRD_X_DISTRIBUTE.java:114)
	at com.sap.ip.bi.portalrfc.dispatcher.services.BIServicesRfcDispatcherService.doHandleRequest(BIServicesRfcDispatcherService.java:239)
	at com.sap.ip.bi.portalrfc.services.BIRfcService.handleRequest(BIRfcService.java:247)

Hopefully somebody out there has tried to configure Delegated Content Administration, with the intent of publishing content to the portal via the Web Application Designer....

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Ken,

I have the exact same requirement. However I am a EP Guy not a BI/Security Guy. What my requirement is that when my BI team tries to publish a report using Bex Query Designer or WAD, they should not have access to any other folder under "Portal Content" but a custom folder that I created i.e "BI Reports".

I have not given them content admin role, so when they try to publish the report on the portal, the new small window pops up with the PCD navigation tree but does not let the developers navigate any further since they do not have the content admin role. Which is eactly what I want. But, instead of denying access to the complete PCD, they should have access to the BI folder "only" for publishing the reports.

Can you please help me with step by step proceess for creating Delegated Portal Content Admin role. Also, It will be good it there is a document or a wiki on this to share.

Thanks

SB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Bex Broadcaster publishes BI reports into KM Folder ( Refer this [link|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/43/4baca2b60f376de10000000a422035/content.htm].) for which you need to provide read-write access on the folder.

For publishing report as iview in the portal, refer to this [link.|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/43/6ee85d99506fcfe10000000a1553f6/content.htm]

I think you will need to assign content administrator role the users for carrying out this activity.

Regards

Prabhakar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Apologies, it's not the BEx Broadcaster that's being used. I'm trying to publish WAD content to the Portal, which ends up creating iViews in the PCD on the BI portal. So KM permissions are not the issue.

I would really like to avoid giving out the Content Admin role to people who are just publishing iViews - the C.A. role has way too much power for these types of users.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Publishing report is an administrative activity.

Try this out:

You can publish report in a particular folder in the Portal content directory. On that folder, provide your group of users with write access so that report can be published.

For other folders, you let them have read access.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Prabhakar