cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging routines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai all,

I am a BW guy but I am in need of the procedure for debugging update rules and tranfer routines. Infact any procedure to debug a routine in BW would be highly useful for me. I know very little about ABAP. Does somebody have any kind of documentation or some reference to step by step routine debugging? I would appreciate if you can mail me any helpful documentation to visu_venkat@yahoo.com

Thank you very much.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

there are many ways of doing debugging.

simple step is enter /h and enter in command prompt of SAP screen.

Then press F5 for single step.

F6 for skipping a subroutine.

but i will suggest F5.

you got it tell me or else i will explain in detail.

regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks John and Supreet,

I got an idea of how to debug. I did the following:

1. Go to PSA request>> right click>>simulate/cancel update>> select the package and then simulate>>slected both update and transfer rules debugging and selection of records>>selected 4 records>>

Now I am in the ABAP debugger screen. Now I kept on pressing F5 and it was going on and on. I guess its repeating. How do I know that its complete? I pressed F7 and F8 and I got a message saying that

"No.of records changed from, 4 to 3 in start routine"

I closed the window and its back in debug screen. I pressed F7 and F8 again and after few more F5, F6, F7 and F8 pressings, I got to the final screen that shows both communication structure view and datatarget view.

But again, the data target view records are not exactly same as the ones I see in the ODS. I am actually trying to find how Invoice reference field is getting filled up and with what value. The records in PSA doesnot have any invoice reference but the field is getting filledup when I see the same record in ODS.

Here are my questions finally,

1. Did I do any mistake in my procedure?

2. Once I enter the ABAP debugger screen, what are the functions of F5, F6, F7 and F8?

3. By the procedure I told you, do the dataTarget view records show the exact ODS records even though I skip the code(I think by pressing F7)?

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Visu,

the method you followed to start debugging is new to me.

well F5 mean single step, so if there is a loop commnad, it will keep reapting till the loop is over.

F6 is used if you want to skip step by step debugging of a subroutine "perform ....."

F7 is used if you are inside a FM or LOOP , it will immediately take you out of that FM or LOOP .

F8 means execute the program.

and when you are debugging below you can see some input field, here on left side if you enter the variable name, you can see and press enter, you can see its value changing.

now read this carefully,

simple way to do debugging is type '/H' in the top left corner command prompt of SAP screen, the one where you enter your transaction code like '/NMM01'.

after typing '/H' press 'ENTER'.

now after this what ever you do debugger will debug that.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Supreet;

That method of debugging is necessary because the routines in BW are executed in a background task, much like you can do in ABAP with a function module. That is why the /h, or just typing 'BREAK-POINT' into the code does not work.

Your explanation of the function codes is very helpful, however.

Visu - Maybe you could try question #3 in the BI Forum. You may get a better response to that one from the BW experts there. I have had some pretty gnarly problems resolved in that forum!

Cheers,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

OHHH I NEVER WORKED IN BW

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Visu;

I just sent you a document that may help you with the debugging...

Also, check out this thread from the BI forum:

Cheers,

John