cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Storage parameters for info-cube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geeks,

For one of the requirements I need to do document level reporting in an Info-cube ( I know its not a recommended practice)

I am sure that if we are reporting on document level from a cube its good to have optimum DB storage parameters.

Can anybody give me some tips about changing DB storage parameters for optimum cube performance?

Monica

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Monica,

If Pizzaman sees this post he may be able to give a good idea. But basically when we need to do document level reporting in the cube, assign the Document # InfoObject to a dimension and create it as a line item dimension (i.e. dimension with only one InfoObject and with the Line Item checked).

Hope this helps...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have already done what you geeks are suggesting. I was just making sure I am assigning optimum DB storage parameters.

Thank for all your inputs.

Monica

Former Member
0 Kudos

The line item dimension Bhanu mentioned is really the main item, although you obviously need to give thought to designing any other dimensions.

Doing document level reporting from a cube is not something to be dismissed based just on some overly broad (IMHO) recommendations from SAP. Just performing summary reporting from a multi-dimensional structure was, I think, really driven by the state of the hardware and databases. I think improvements in both are causing this issue to revisited. I read a Ralph Kimball article recently that echoed this idea - have to see if I can find the link and post it here.

The star-schema and use of bitmap indices are very powerful tools. If your quereis would typically include restrictions on other characteristics (the more the better), the star transformation + bitmap indices should really help. You can have aggregates that exclude the document number to insure very good performance of non-document level queries.

The only place a cube might be a really bad choice for document level reporting is if you intended to produce reports tht are simply very large lists of the documents, e.g. show me all the documents for 2005. Even then, you have to consider how big the cube is and how often queries be running against he cube, e.g. something that might only be queried a couple of times a day doesn't concern me as much as something that is queried a couple thousand times a day.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Goto infocube--change,

In the next screen click on extras menu and u will find 'DB storage parameters'.Click on it and the parameters can be changed from the next screen.

I also suggest that u run checks from tcode RSRV..

follow path..all elementary test..database..

cheers,

Vishvesh