cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

database logon window when using an xsd as the datasource [i am so frustrated with this]

Former Member
0 Kudos

can someone please tell me why a logon window pops up when i try to set the data source of a report to an xsd dataset. there is no logon information and if i hit cancel the report displays fine, this is just annoying an i can not tell clients to just ignore it. it is unacceptable some one please help, i need to either figure out how I can get this window to not show up, or how i can get the xsd to recognize a user name and password and then programmatically set all the info. I don't want the client to have to see this window as it is unnecessary.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

also, the logon window does not show up all the time. i can show a report and it wont show up, then i can click a button to show the report again (it sets the datasource to the same dataset that is already being displayed) and the database logon window will come up. It is really random sometimes it shows up and sometimes it does not.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

and by the way i am using c# to develop in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David,

Typically you'll see the "database logon prompt" when using datasets if the dataset isn't available or if the schema doesn't match what the report is expecting.

You may be seeing the report occasionally without the prompt if the report has saved data, or if a timing issue of some sort is allowing the dataset to be used correctly sometimes. If your report has saved data then it's not really trying to use the dataset the first time through. Dataset based reports don't normally have saved data, but it is possible. You can open the report in Crystal Reports, go to the File menu and look for a check mark next to Save Data with Report. If it's checked, be sure to uncheck it and resave the report. Unfortunately, if your report does have saved data this will probably make the report fail more regularly.

To confirm that your dataset matches your schema you can write out your dataset (write it out as XML with schema) and then try using it directly in the report (instead of the XSD). If you get any warnings about missing tables, or fields this tells us the dataset doesn't match the schema. If the dataset doesn't match the schema you'll have to correct these differences.

If you're still having issues after checking your dataset please post your code and the version of Crystal Reports and Visual Studios that you're using.

Sincerely,

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

we are still having issues with the dataset, i have no saved data in the report. we use the crystal reports engine as a module that gets loaded when the user wants to look at reports. We have an XSD set up with 4 different tables and when the crystal reporting engine gets invoked we dump all of the clients data into this xsd and then set the data source of our report to the dataset (the xsd). this all gets made new every time the report engine loads so there shouldn't be any saved data. The report references two of the tables, we just recently changed this, it used to only reference one of the tables in the form. This seemed to make the login form appear more often, it also seems to appear more often on vista (it actually appears everytime on vista, on xp it is frequent but not everytime). The code is very pretty large, i dont know if posting would make any sense. The version of the crystal reports object that i am using is the version for 2005 (10.2.3600.0), the runtime version is v2.0.50727. thanks for any help.

Edited by: David Lupeye on Jun 16, 2008 5:35 PM

Adam_Stone
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Were you able to try the test that Dan suggested where you write out your dataset (write it out as XML with schema) and then try using it directly in the report designer (instead of the XSD)?

If you get any warnings about missing tables, or fields this tells us the dataset doesn't match the schema. If the dataset doesn't match the schema you'll have to correct these differences.