cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Source assignment Question: Fundamental one..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I would like to add 2 data Sources from the same R/3 System to 1 Cube/Ods.

Scenario 1:

1) Attach both the data sources to 1 infosource and attach the single infosource to ods/cube.

Scenario 2:

1) Create 2 info sources and attach each data source and then assign 2 infosource to 1 ODS/cube.

What could be difference? May be a fundamental question, But not able to differentiate much answers.. Can any one help me?

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,

Hari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mary Huang,

Do you mean I can not create scenario 1?, Hmm never tried completely creating it.. but it looks like it allowed me with a popup saying that do you want to assign?.. I stoped at that step as that is being used by others..

From different source systems we can surely connect one infosource..(We are doing that)..

I have 2 different source systems in one source system almost suplying the same fields data except few other processsing logic..

Am I clear?

Regards,

Hari

• Thanks for your reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you talking transaction datasources?

When you connect from different source systems, you are connecting the same data source in the different systems to the infosource and since they are the same or very similar, they can share transfer structure and communication structure.

Typically different datasources in the same source system have different structure. Very rare to find 2 that are the same.

ahh, you were trying to do that in a live system that others are using too? Not avisable! You can try it in a sandox or something but development or other systems are not advisable.

Note each datasource from each source system can only be connected to 1 infosource in a BW system. Once you use it, it is no longer available to other infosources.

If you find posting useful, it is normal to assign points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I am in developemt system only.. ( Not Live..) But did not try completely as my other colleagues are working on that .. But surely I will check this when they leave for the day.. I do not want to disturb them.

Mary Wrote:
Note each datasource from each source system can only be connected to 1 infosource in a BW system. Once you use it, it is no longer available to other infosources.

The 1st part of sentence is not clear.. ( Sorry .. for me poor understanding)..I am into the rare scenario where I have same structure in the source system.

Can I understand that 2 similar datasources (Having the same structure) from same source can not be assigned to 1 infosource?

Thanks for your Patience

Regards,

hari

• You have already earned points for your second statement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hari,

It sounds as if you are still fairly new to BW so I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments.

You should never do something like you are suggesting in a QA/Production system and with much caution in a development system if it is supporting a live production system i.e. on the transport path to a BW prod system. Also, you are not along in the system so please be aware that you are sharing the system with your colleagues and what you do can affect them.

It has been a while since I had done something where we switched from one custom datasource to another custom datasource for the same inforsource and enhanced the infosource at the same time and we ran into some issues in the switch. If you say it is the same structure, I persume it is a custom datasource. Thus I would probably advice separate infosources for separate datasources and have both map to the cube. Deactivate the one you don't need if one become outdated later or to do the switch over. Also the structure of the 2 datasources is similar right now but can you guarantee it would remain the same? Different infosources would give you more flexibility in that respect.

Hope this helps,

Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Mary,

Hmm, I am not very new for BW systems and transports But I like your care towards alerting me in modifying the objects. Thanks.. :).

I am confident that I can test this scenario on this 'live' supported objects(As I only developed and look after it. actually not really 'shared') and I am confident that I can delete objects and requests to make in sync with other objects(Also we are not really gone live.. ). Hmm, I think I am fine on that side.

Thanks for the message, Few people like "you" taught those principles to me. I am still thankful to them.. Please keep those suggestions to me in future also..

You correctly detected that mine were 'generic' extractors. ( I should had written earlier.. )

I was also not interested at this moment which is 'better' solution. I am also comfortable in adapting 2nd scenario before I post this message. But I am just wondering on the fesability and if feasible the 'difference' between 2 scenario's?

I thought I would get the answer with out puting efforts from my side( .. May be I have to try out myself..

Have a nice day!

regards,

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

okay, if you are experienced in BW and you are the only one working with it and it is not live yet, there is a bit more latitude to experiment... Although I still prefer a sandbox for this type of playing...

If you don't want to spend time on it, then scenerio 2. If you want to experiment and have the time to try, could explore Scenerio 1 also..

Okay, it has been about 3-4 years in 2.0B since we had to create a duplicate extractor to do significant enhancement of an extractor and had to extend the infosource too, and both had been in production already. We created a second extractor on the R/3 side but was trying to keep the same infosource on the BW side and transport to QA and production, shall we say we were slightly surprised by something and had to get another transport in quickly... It is not just the usually object got missed, it was a bit more then that...

I think also when we tried to assign another data source to the infosource, there were some issues and we had to delete the assignment to make the new assignment of datasource. Have to admit, I am drawing a bit of a blank on the details and I think it 2.x you can only have 1 infosource for 1 datasource. Not sure if it still holds for 3.x since you can have attr and text extractors to the same flexible datasource.

Cheers, Mary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Mary,

The last post contained important information..

I also had worked on 2.0B earlier for some time know this limitation there.. but some one( Did not able to recollect who is this .. ahh ) told that this restriction is no more in 3.x..

(I think in 2.0B, there was a little bit difference in modeling scenario 1 and 2 like one adds the record and other modifies the record for ODS when you have different 'data' fields mapped in 2 different trans. rules.... or some thing like that..)

If i can test the scenario 1, I will make sure that I update this messaage..

Cheers, And thanks for your help..

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use Scenerio 2.

Scenerio 1 does not work.. your datasources would not be the same so it is unlikely they can share the same communication structure or transfer structure in the infosource.