cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services 4.2 SP 13 Designer Crashing

0 Kudos

Hello,

My designer crashes when I try to map to persistent cache in a data flow. It is a very simple data flow, select from table then a query transform, then write to Persistent cache data store.

The error I get is

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION Fault address: 000000006177F8A9 01:00000000007AE8A9 C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\Data Services\bin\DiagramModelFW3.dll

After the crash and a couple of tries, the Data flow get saved. Now if I run, I get an error saying Key was not defined for the cache, when it is actually defined.

I am currently upgrading from 4.1 to 4.2. 4.2 env is Windows 2016, Repo DB is SQL server 2017, client Windows 10.

On another note, the jobs that ran fine and faster in 4.1 has become very slow in 4.2. I did not make any change to the job flow other than upgrading. Is there anything that I need to check as to why it has become slow. The new environment is bigger and better than the older one ( more RAM on server etc).

Thanks for your time and response.

Miru

ruxandrababeanu
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Miru, maybe this note can help 2940968.

0 Kudos

I tried installing the latest patch for SP13 it did not work.

Thanks

Miru

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

I found that there is a problem with mapping datetime field to a persistent cache table in 4.2 SP13. When you map datetime field in the persistent cache temporary table, the designer crashes when you save the job. SAP confirmed that they can recreate the issue.

I am just curious to see if there are others who have come across this issue.

Thanks

Miru

Julian_Riegel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Can you check the DS Designer Application log to see potential additional error information?

it can be found in <Drive>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SAP\Data Services\log

Regards,

Julian

0 Kudos

The error log shows the above listed error access violation error and the faulting module.

Thanks

Miru

Julian_Riegel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The error is very generic and I have come across this exact same message due to many different reasons - sometimes it was a code-validation issue due to an invalid character within an sql script which lead to the designer crashing when trying to save progress. Other times it was a wrong call of a global variable within a match transform setting that lead to a crash after clicking on validate-now..

These errors were tracked however in the log just before the application crashed and some seconds before the Access Violation was written into the log. If these are not tracked for you then it will be very hard to figure out why the application is actually crashing. I would recommend opening an OSS for this.

0 Kudos
Julian,

Thank you for the response. The error is due to a software issue. According to SAP response the issue will be fixed in 4.2 SP 13 Patch 4 , 4.2 SP 14 Patch 4.

Regard

Miru