Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAO Error - Logon Failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: aurel60

CA Forum: General

Hi everybody, We are working with VB6, Access and Crystal Report to make some reports.And today, some users have contact me because they have a new problem with a report.You could see bellow the error message :The Following Error has Occured - Logon Failed

Details: DAO Error Code: 0xbed

Source: DAO.DbEngine

Description: Too many client tasks.We searched on Internet but couldn't find anything about this problem.All users are connected to our application throw a server.If you have some advice, do not hesitate to contact me.Best regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,Thanks for your reply... I will try to use your advice and then, I will make a feedback asap :)Best regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Post Author: pandabear

Hi Aurel,

If you are using VB6 to create the Crystal Object, try closing the connection after the object is created and launched in the viewer?

Should just be one line of code. The idea is that you won't have a limit to the amount of reports you have open if you close the connection after each one is created. If this doesn't work (...connections still keep pileing up...), the only answers I have are guesses. Crystal created this problem by setting the limit in the first place, whatever their reasoning might have been. Apparently they see the resolution as a "fix", so I would consider contacting them.

Back up the registry before entering if you go that way

The Panda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,Thanks for the answer... but I couldn't find anything in the registry of the server.I think the problem is that we only installed "Report Designer Component" to read some reports... and not the full version of Crystal Report.So we haven't all registry entries.Must I create manually these entries on the registry of our server ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, here's the deal........I don't know !

I went to my registry (Crystal 11+, runnning on my own machine (XP Pro) against db2)

and there's something like "NRecords *" and a value of 500. The link I sent you is for

Crystal 9. I didn't have a "Database" entry in the keys, but there was something similar...Database Server or

First Database, Second Database, swing batta swing....ok, well, anyway...

The good thing is, someone smarter than both of us will come along sooner now 'cause we've 'cause

a little traffic. Until then, my suggestion is to go back to the registry, follow it to something like crystal/....database

and look for something like "Thread" or "NReports" that has a numberic value....probably something even numbered

like 100 or 500. Save the registry first !!...then change this value to something much higher.

If you were creating the report object in code, I think you could just "Close" the connection object

as soon as the report is displayed and not have to worry about it.

Well, there's my worthless 2 cents. Good luck on it and I'll look forward to learning something on this one

The Panda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Panda :)First of all... thank you for your reply :)Ok !!! I understand now. I were hoping it was a limit with a kind of thread :)But, I searched this registry subkey on our server but I couldn't find it.Must this subkey be on each user machine ? Or must I create it on our server ?Faithfully,Aurel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey A,

Everytime one of your users starts a report it starts a thread. When the threads reach a

certain number (100), Crystal goes "Hey, do they have a license for this many concurrent reports

running? Better shut them off till we find out", or so the legend grows. Actually, they have a fix

for this IF this is your problem.

http://technicalsupport.businessobjects.com/KanisaSupportSite/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&ext...

...and I hope helps,

The Panda