cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube enhancement

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I want to enhance one cube. Its already having huge content. Now the steps what i follow is as below.

1) Create a new cube with additional info objects.

2) write update rule for the same.

3) Change the communication structure to incorporate new IO

4) Modify the transfer rule also.

5) Enhance the datasource at source system level.

Now what i will do is i will use the previous cube as datamart and create one export datasource and populate the new cube.

But since my old cube is having data till say today, can i get the data for added info object in my new cube till today? if yes how can i go about it?

Regards

Sriram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

sriram,

how are you going to produce the data for this new field? if it's something that you can populate programatically via the update routine or transfer rule, then you can populate this new field using this method.

if your new field is part of extraction of these old records from their source, then the best you could do is get data for this new field from this date onwards only.

hope this helps. don't forget to give out some points. 😃

ryan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

So if I want to populate the new field in old records then I have to load the data again from beginning. Is there any other solution for this scenario apart from populating the new field from transfer and update rules using the other fields of the datasource.

please let me know

thanks,

Sabrina.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can use an export DataSource with the dastination of the InfoCube itself.

use the start routine with Return table. Double the records there.

The key-figures of the first record should be multiplied by -1. The second record should be enhanced by the new field.

After compression of the InfoCube the double records are "cpmressed".

Hope this helps

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here's what you can do:

1.write a new cube (-say NC001) to get data for the new info object. The new cube NC001 needs to contain key fields that will uniquely identify records in your old cube (OC001).

2.NC001 and OC001 will feed data into the new cube multi-provider to populate your new NC000. This way NC000 will contain all the old data plus the data for the new infoobject.

SRRao

Former Member
0 Kudos

sriram,

this is a good way to deal with the problem... create a new cube (or ODS, but i guess a cube might be easier) with only that keyfigure, but with all the dimensions that the old one has. that way you have the historical data for this new keyfigure in now.

if you'd rather keep just one cube for everything, you could probably create a new cube for everything. and then you create export datasources for these two cubes (one with the old data and one with the new keyfigure) and then load them both into this new cube. in theory it <b>should</b> work.

hmm... that's a nice suggestion srrao. 😃

ryan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was your cube fed by a LO-DataSource or by a DataSource using a 'simple' delta management, like COPA?

If it's not a LO-Cockpit DataSource, I would prefer to reload the data from your source system.

If you can't reload from source system, you might have a derivation table (in case the new IO is a characteristic) that will be loaded into an ODS and used to enrich your data in the update rule.