cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrystalViewer no longer displaying in webpage

Former Member
0 Kudos

i turn to the experts...i have a vb.net app that displays crystal reports via the crystal report viewer. no issues for the last 4 years! in development all of a sudden i try to display the same old static report...no report, not even the viewer is displayed. i've looked at the generated html code but very hard to determine the issue there. i can see the javascript for the crystalviewer. i can even create a test app and show the report with no problems, but my current .net solution has somehow broke. i've made no coding changes either...just a couple of display statements. i'm confused...any ideas or suggestions, please. thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

I would suggest you to try removing the old viewer from your design pane and reinsert a new one from the toolbox. Also, you mentioned that

"i've made no coding changes either...just a couple of display statements"

What coding changes are we talking about? Did you made any changes for Visible property or Hide method for the viewer object?

You might want to compare the web.config file and try looking for the following tag:

<httpHandlers><add verb="GET" path="CrystalImageHandler.aspx" type="CrystalDecisions.Web.CrystalImageHandler, CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"/></httpHandlers>

It should be within <system.web> tag.

Since you can see the report in a new application, I believe Crystal is working properly and the code need to be reviewed.

Please provide us with your observations along with following details:

1. CR designer used with patch level.

2. VS version used?

3. OS in which you are having issue? Is it 32/64 bit OS?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

A G,

I will work through your suggestions, btw crystal 2008 12.1.0.892;VS 2008; Win XP 32 bit. I also have embedded flash objects from Xcelsius. Also wanted to mention that i earlier created a new aspx form to the solution and added a crystal viewer and this did not work either. i am beginning to think the problem is related to the VS solution. I will update when i follow through on your suggestions. thank you so much for your time!

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

A G,

One more thought, I do remember that the Crystal Merge Modules in the Deployment project (which is part of this VB.NET solution) could not find the .msm file. I recently moved it to another directory. So then I pointed to the correct directory, everything builds with no errors. Perhaps I have to remove the reference and add it back? I will try that option as well. Will keep you updated...thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

If the issue is in development machine then you should install the designer rather than just using the runtimes. We generally recommend the following sequence of installation:

1. IIS and .NET FW.

2. Install the VS and apply any patch for VS.

3. Install the designer and install any patch.

Hope that helps !

Former Member
0 Kudos

A G,

I added another CR control to the web page, same result; i checked out the webconfig all looks ok; I really think there is something wrong at the .net solution level. I can create a new solution and CR works fine, but this particular .net solution does not. i will continue to research, if you come up with any other ideas, by all means let me know. thanks for all your help and i will post my results.

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

Since one app breaks and new app works, then I doubt it you have any problem with the installation of VS or Crystal, (I may be wrong in this).

So, I would suggest trying [FileMonitor|http://technet.microsoft.com/hi-in/sysinternals/bb896645(en-us).aspx] utility to look at the differences in dlls/references called, viewer tool used in the app and security.

Hope that helps !

Former Member
0 Kudos

A G,

Noticed one other interesting point, i can point an .xls or pdf file to the source of the CR viewer and it works. Only rpt files nothing shows up (not even the CRV container). I will work on the filemon suggestion and let you know the results, thanks.

Mike

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i can point an .xls or pdf file to the source of the CR viewer and it works

That is pretty weird. I think you're the 1st person ever to get xls and pdf to open in the CR viewer. Most people, including my self get an error when trying to do this. E.g.;

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = ("C:\xxxxx.xls";)

results in "Invalid report Source"

crReportDocument.Load("C:\xxxxx.xlx";)

results in "Load Report Failed"

Are you sure you are using a CR viewer?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll confirm later today, I might be mistaken. I know the webpage opens rpt, PDF,xls files. Now that you mention it the code does evaluate the extension. Will confirm though thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can export report and see it in pdf format but you cannot actually open an pdf in CR Viewer.

Thanks.

Edited by: A G on Jul 14, 2010 10:45 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

i stand corrected, the app only points the .rpt file to CR viewer otherwise it just redirects using the xls or pdf file. Let me verify that I just uninstall CR 12 and reinstall it back to its original directory? I hope I don't have to reinstall VS, .net framework also. Please advise...thanks for everyone's comments!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I still believe that you have Crystal properly installed in your machine since you can create a new app and Crystal works fine. So, again my suggestion would be to compare the apps.

Anyways, you need not install VS again.Just make sure you have CR2008 Sp0 or above installed. Then move to latest SPs. Do the installation when logging in as an administrator.

Link: https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/bobj_download/main.htm

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

A G,

Sorry i was out of the office for two weeks...i reinstalled Crystal, same issue. Noticed that the app will display the CRviewer in VS mode. I am suspecting IIS5.1 and CR2008 may be having some issues ( i had another programmer help me to get to this point). i am going to get the latest SP for Crystal, then look at IIS if it still doesn't work. Thanks.

Mike

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It never occurred to me that anyone would still be using IIS5.1. As per the Supported Platforms documentation, CR 2008 only supports Microsoft IIS 6.0 and higher. Link to Supported Platforms:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00225757-ab5c-2c10-c1a8-fb9f9f0f4...

See p. 7.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found the issue:

The following directory permission settings for group Everyone did not have Full Control checked, C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\2_0_50727\crystalreportviewers12

Not sure how the permission settings were altered, but once the Allow permissions are checked for Full Control...bingo!

Strange that the original settings did not trigger or display a Crystal error. I reinstalled Crystal per A G's suggestion and updated SP3...all looks good again.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! Glad to know I have many minds to tap into for such issues...

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the good news.

Cheers!

Answers (0)