cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Server 2008 V1 : Failed to connect to server

Former Member
0 Kudos

I downloaded the RAS2008 V1 trial version in order to test it in our .NET SDK environment. But after many many attempts, I am still unable to get the RAS to work.

The RAS is installed on a Windows Server 2003 machine, and all .NET components have been installed in the first place (IIS, .NET framework, ASP.NET).

I wrote a very smal C# test program in Visual Studio 2005 to try communicating with the RAS and everytime I get the following error : System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041015): Failed to connect to server.

My code is very simple :

ReportDocument Doc;
Doc = new ReportDocument();
Doc.ReportAppServer = "<ServerName>";
Doc.FileName = "<Path>\report.rpt";
Doc.Database.Tables[0].Location = "<Path>\report.xml";
Doc.ExportToDisk(CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportFormatType.PortableDocFormat, "<path>\report.pdf");

( 1500 character limit and then Forum reformats the page )

See below for the rest of this post

Edited by: Don Williams on Oct 1, 2009 11:05 AM

View Entire Topic
former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity, what kind of users do you have for CR Server, are they named or concurrent?

If they are named then I believe that is why it is failing.

You have to have concurrent licensing to use unmanaged RAS since you never log into the system with the named user.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have concurrent licensing on the RAS.

Anthony

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm, is the guest account enabled?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, it was disabled indeed. I enabled the Guest account and restarted the servers, but it unfortunately doesn't work either.

By the way, I am using the Crystal Reports Runtime 2008 SP2 on my workstationis it the right runtime version to use with .NET to connect to RAS 2008 V1 ?

Thanks

Anthony

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

2008 V1 - you should use CR 2008 V1 (Service Pack 1) to ensure corresponding versions between server and client.

But since you have:

> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80041015): Failed to connect to server.

The first question I have is - is you .NET app on a separate machine from the RAS server, and are there any firewalls between the machines?

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Don : I changed the location to where reports are saved locally. I still have the same issue. I also modified my code and still same problem.

Ted : I removed the 2008 SP2 runtime and installed the 2008 SP1. Still have the same error. The RAS is indeed on a separate machine, but there is no firewall and as per the log file, the communication is somehow established.

I am running out of ideas, and I really need to get the RAS to be working. We must inform our clients whether or not the RAS 2008 V1 is supported by our software.

Thanks for you help.

Anthony

0 Kudos

Hi Anthony,

I suggest you create a case on line in Service Market Place and one of us will work with you to get this working. There is also a PDF file you should have received from your OEM Account Manager or an SC on how to configure RAS and sample code to open client doc etc.

Copy the link from this forum into the case also as a reference.

Thanks again

Don

0 Kudos

Before you do that try this simple code to open your report:

ReportClientDocument rcd;

string reportPath = "ras://c:
reports
World Sales Report.rpt";

object reportPathAsObject = (object)reportPath;

Note the "ras://...." this tells the RAS Service to use it rather than the inProc version of RAS. May be the cause.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I will open a case.

Meanwhile I tried your code using the ras://... and I still get the same error :

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Failed to connect to server. Windows socket returned : 0

And we can not really use that, we must use UNC path.

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos

The important part is opening the report using "ras://... if you don't use this you are using the local inProc RAS whihc will not connect to the RAS server.

Create a case and someone can explain it to you on a call.

Thank you

Don

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I see no request from your app to the RAS server in the log.

What I do see is the COM layer error message indicating no connection to the RAS server.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

After a conversation with your technical departement, it would appear that the issue is related to assemblies version not matching the RAS V1 (12.1).

After verification, indeed, the assemblies are incorrect. I will ensure to get the right ones and will post further results.

Thank you

Anthony

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I've not seen version mismatch fail to connect to the RAS server - it usually causes issues during the connection.

You're using RAS "unmanaged reporting".

If you're sure there are no firewalls, then ensure you've specified the unmanaged reporting port.

For the RAS server command-line, add the option -ipport 1566 (to set the unmanaged RAS port to 1566), then ensure you've setReportAppServer("<hostname here>:1566") to ensure you're specifying the correct host and port.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

0 Kudos

Elaine has his case and discovered he was using 10.5 references

Marking as closed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I tried using the -ipport 1566 connection and that actually worked ! I finally was dealing with connection problems, although I had Crystal versions conflicts at some point.

I successfully ran my test using Visual Studio, and also our custom software, to process Crystal Reports using RAS 2008 V1.

This issue is then resolved for me. Thank you very much for your help and time, and the effort you put on this case.

Greetings,

Anthony

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Happy to hear you're on your way!

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda