cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports - Subreport field gets cut off

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a crystal report , it contains a subreport. The subreport contains one of the fields which is a memo field. The memo field contains some instructions that are displayed from the database. In some cases when the "instructions" text is larger than the screen size, the text gets cut off (vertically) even though we checked the property of the the subreport to "can-grow" (this is checked). In some cases when the text is not large enough, the report works fine; when the text is larger than the screen size, it gets cutoff.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening and how to fix this problem?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Neeraj,

Just perform a simple test

What happens if you reduce the font size of Memo field.Does it show the full text which was geting truncated previously???

Regards,

Shantanu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shantanu - Yes, it does show the full text. I reduced the font size of the memo field from Size 8 to Size 7 and it now shows the entire text. This field which contains instructions might grow, people can add further text onto them.

What is the best practice here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys - I sent an email with the actual report. Please let me know if you need anything else.

regards,

Neeraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

Just for fun I put a text box on a new report and filled it with 1000's of characters.

(That's right, 1000's

I had to check "Can Grow" to see it all, but not "Print on Horizontal Pages".

Then I put the text in a formula and displayed that as well.

I had 4 pages of characters displayed in the text box and

26 pages of characters displayed in the formula (which is just the same

text copied over and over)

I even selected them all and made all the characters bold and it still showed all the text

(on 26 pages)

Over 10 years ago we use to have some problems passing long sql strings

that exceeded 255 characters, but we solved that by parsing it out.

Point is, I don't think it's the text box or memo field.

If you still think it is, you can create a formula that checks

for the size of the field (> 255) and sub divide the contents

into text boxes on sub ordinate sections that can be turned on and off (suppressed) as needed.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, I almost forgot.

I also added a sub report with all those crazy characters and

it also displayed just fine.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

What is the version of Crystal Reports and what is database this report is based off?

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Crystal Report XI R2 and SQL Server 2005.

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Neeraj,

CR truncates any text field greater than 255 chars; so when you see the field drop off lines, does the field contain more than 255 chars?

Try upgrading to the highest version of XI R2; it's XI R2 SP6. And, also try creating an OLEDB connection using SQLNCLI if you're not using it already.

-Abhilash