cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal reports, local service account for app pool and performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

A small background about the issue, I have a web-service that was creating some reports in the pdf format and putting it at some location. It was taking about 15 seconds for 8 reports on development server but on qa it was taking around 80 seconds. While investigating the issue, I found out that it was running under apppoolidentity account on windows server 2008. When I changed it to local service, the time dropped from 80 seconds to 15 seconds. While that fixed the issue, I couldn't figure out why this happened. Just for experimenting, I changed it to local system and network service as well but that bumped the time up to 80 seconds. I know that local service has more privileges than the apppoolidentity account but how can I describe this difference? Why does crystal recommends that LOCAL SERVICE permission must be setup on your application pool ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure that Crystal recommends Local Service(?).

Perhaps the better question is, why is the report processing so much faster using Local Service?

The way I understand things is that

1. running under app pool identity any scripts run from within your website will run as IUSR
  2. logging and certain other functions will run under the App Pool User
  3. Running under App Pool requires the App Pool Identity to be able to list the files in the app directory and this allows for some checking to be done in the request stack before control is handed off to your script.

My guess would be that that the the reading / listing of the files and checking is taking up most of the time delay you are seeing.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek for taking the time to clarify it. I got the point that crystal need to run under local service from Crystal reports on windows server 2008 : The Official Microsoft IIS Forums. 3rd point in the answer is :

Please make sure you set the application pool of your application to operate under LOCAL SERVICE permission

I have seen the same list at multiple places.

You said:

My guess would be that that the the reading / listing of the files and checking is taking up most of the time delay you are seeing.

Is there any way to quantify it ? I mean why is it taking around 65 seconds to read the files ?

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I don't know. I'm not even sure if it is just the app pool or app pool + CR. E.g.; CR may be looking for "stuff" also. In particular, the printer drivers have always been an issue. E.g.; if a specific printer driver was selected for the report, the engine may look for it all over the place, including network drives. Couple of way to test this;

set the report to use default printer driver (ensuring there is a default printer driver installed on the server).

set the option "No Printer" for the report(s).

Other possible ways of looking at this would be via logs. Process Monitor and Fiddler may be of use there.

Oh, depending on the version of CR and Service Pack, there used to be an issue where the report engine looked for the original datasource, eventually giving up and using what you coded (this would only be the case where the datasource was changing at runtime). But this has been resolved with current SPs.

- Ludek

Answers (0)