cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports: Letting others use the reports created

0 Kudos

We're considering purchasing Crystal Reports, but before we do I had a question about who can use it and how. I know that the licenses are Named Licenses, so Jim Smith is the only one who can use the license for him. However, if there are only a handful of people who are designing the reports, is there a way to let others use the reports themselves? As in, if I make one that has properties, are they able to just enter in the parameters, log in to the SQL Server and then print out the loaded report? Or are we also going to have to purchase licenses for the people who aren't creating the reports?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ido posted a good link to find 3rd-party viewers. If you want scheduling and distribution capabilities in addition to just viewing reports, you could take a look at Crystal Reports Server.

For creating your own viewer as part of a web or desktop application, see the following:

.NET: https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/Crystal+Reports%2C+Developer+for+Visual+Studio+Downloads

Java: https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/SAP+Crystal+Reports+version+for+Eclipse+-+Downloads

In the .NET wiki there is a link to licensing information. The SDKs are free to download and develop in and free for in-house use. However, there is limit on the number of concurrent users (5) and print jobs (100).

A "print job" is an instance of a report or subreport. For example:

- A report that has a subreport in the report header generates 2 print jobs.

- A report that has a subreport in a group header and there are 10 different values for the grouping field, has 11 print jobs.

- A report that has a subreport in a details section and there are 100 records that display the subreport will throw an error because it generates 101 print jobs.

I would expect the 3rd-party viewers to have these same limitations. If you need to go beyond these limitations, you'll have go to Crystal Reports Server.

-Dell

0 Kudos

I'm just trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly. The print job limit applies only to one given report file at a time and calculates how many sub reports are in said file? This doesn't mean that the file can only be used to print reports x number of times, right? Apologies if that's a stupid question.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's not a stupid question! Yes, it only applies to the number of times any subreports run within a given view of the main report.

-Dell

0 Kudos

Awesome! I really appreciate your help and for taking the time.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can use free/inexpensive 3rd-party Crystal Reports viewers (see list here) or create your own viewer using the Crystal Reports runtime.