cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 Online Training

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I don't see one on training.

Has anyone take the SAP Online Training courses for Crystal Reports 2008?

Did you find them beneficial?

Do you feel they provide adequate resources and train in a way the lends itself to helping you pass the certification exam?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you specifically taken the SAP online courses for CR?

Are they a webex type seminar or just training modules of pre-recorded instruction taken you through steps?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I haven't taken any recent courses, so I can't say for sure.

~Kurt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personally, I don't find the certifications all that worthwhile and the exam is absolutely horrid. I need to have certifications, because I work for a partner company and am a certified consultant/ trainer. It's required for my role, but not really for most other people, and it doesn't seem to hold the cachet that Microsoft Certifications do for many companies.

So, let's turn the questions around. Why do you want certification? What's your ultimate goal? Do you have any previous experience with Crystal Reports, especially Crystal Reports 2008?

Regarding the classes themselves, are you talking about self-study or instructor led? As a trainer, I do feel the course, in general, provide a good foundation for report design.

~Kurt

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm advanced in Excel, VBA, SQL, etc... and my company knows I pick up new information and usually become advanced in whatever area very quickly.

I have been asked to take over the Crystal Report projects at my company.

I am not a CR user so my company is going to pay for me to get trained and also certified.

I have played around in CR9 but that's it.

In looking for resources online for training and certification SAP is the only resource that offers both.

I prefer the in-person training but it is too costly due to the large difference between in-person and the cost effectiveness of the on-line courses they offer.

I figure if I'm going through all the hoops to learn it that I should get certified in the process while the opportunity is there. My company has already agreed to take the step but before I make the plunge I want to make sure that the on-line courses they offer are going to be enough to assist with passing the certification if I apply myself.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It sounds like you have a really solid foundation for learning, so that will be a big help. As to how useful the classes are for obtaining certification, it depends. (Good) Instructor led will always be better, even if it's online, IMO, because a good instructor will be able to provide context to why you might consider doing something within Crystal Reports. There are exercises in the classes, for example, on how to technically use a feature, but not necessarily instructions on appropriate use of or caveats to using the feature.

That being said, the certification exams themselves don't rely so much on experience as they do rote memory. Thoroughly reading through the excellent Crystal Reports help file (one of the most comprehensive help files I've seen) in preparation for an exam can help greatly.

What do I mean when I say the exams are horrid? Here's are examples based on my last exam:

• It had a question about the proper name for a feature where the name doesn't exist in Crystal Reports or anywhere in the training guides (which I have, because I teach Crystal Reports). I came back home, searched or the term in the help file. It didn't exist...

• I was asked 4 variations of the same question. Seriously... This can hose you, since most people will go back and verify they answered them all the same. If one's wrong, they're all wrong...

• There were multiple choice answer questions where it's really only important for you to know any one of the ways to do something, not every single way to do something. Example: Which 3 of these four answers will let you do X? Why do you need to know all three ways when knowing one will get the job done? Does knowing that I can create a new formula by clicking a button or right-clicking make me more of an expert? I had an interesting conversation with my boss the other day - we had a webex session going to review a report and everything she did was the opposite of what I would do (she clicked a button to create a formula and I right-click within the field explorer, for example).

• I was asked a question for which there were two possible answers out of the four, but only one was allowed. I could be right, but still get it wrong. That's really irritating...

The tests are frustrating, to say the least.

~Kurt