cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2008 on Windows Server 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm trying to get a C# ASP.Net application to work. I got the trial version, thinking that that may be the cause of my issues. Ok, here's my process: On my development machine I've installed Crystal Reports 2008, created the report and a .aspx page to go along with it, with a Crystal Reports Viewer control. It works on my machine perfectly. So now it needs to go to production. I've installed Crystal Reports 2008, the runtime for CR2008 and a runtime for Visual Studio 2008 with CR2008 Basic. When I try to view the page on the server from my machine it gives me a "Load Report Failed" error. What am I missing? Someone please just give me a simple answer. I don't care about techincalities. Just get this ridiculous product to work. I've been trying to figure this out for about a month and 2000+ people are depending on it.

P.S. The Windows Server 2008 version we have is the basic one that isn't really meant for running applications. Is that a problem?

And if this continues to fail miserably, does Microsoft Reporting Services work?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no simple answer since there isn't enough information to go on.

Are you using CR 2008 SP1, if not you need to install service pack 1 as it is the only release that is supported on Windows 2008.

Are you using Win2008 x86 or x64?

Have you tried turning off DEP and trying the app?

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also, when you deployed the application, did you also copy over the report files?

Are they in the exact same file path as they were in development (ie are they in the location that the app expects them to be loaded from)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I downloaded and installed SP1, still doesn't work.

We're using x86

What is DEP and how do I turn it off?

And then files are in the right place. It is exactly the same as on my machine.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

DEP is data execution prevention and is a "feature" of vista based OS's.

Are the reports in the same folder under wwwroot as your application or in a seperate folder?

Did you give IIS_WPG full control on the folder where the report are as well as the temp folder on the server?

Former Member
0 Kudos

So how do I turn of DEP?

The app is in a different directory on the server than it is on my machine, but the directory structure of the app is the same in both cases.

In the list of permissions there is no "IIS_WPG". How do I add that?

And where is the temp folder that you're talking about?

Just to let you know, I know very little about how servers work. I know how to develop applications, but when it comes to setting up the server I am nearly clueless.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you right click on the folder that the reports are in you should be able to go to the Security tab and add it as machinename\IIS_WPG.

The temp folder is whatever your server's temp folder is set to. You will have to look it up on the machine since it can be different on different boxes.

As for turning off DEP you will have to google that, I have not done it on Win2008. I would hold off on doing that until you get the folders and temp folder permissions set up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

there is machinename/Administrators and machinename/Users but no machinename/IIS_WPG. How do I add that to the list?

Do you know how to find the temp folder's location?

ted_ueda
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Windows 2008 replaces IIS_WPG with IIS_IUSRS.

There's several steps in ensuring proper security and permissions set-up on servers, likely too long for the forums.

It may be best to speak with the IT admin for the machine, to configure it correctly.

Sincerely,

Ted Ueda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alright, se we set IIS_IUSRS to have full control of the app directory and the temp directory (we found a bunch of reports in that directory so i figured it was the right one).

Now the "Load Report Failed" error is gone, replaced by a "The report you requested requires further information." error. I Googled this and found a bunch of C# and VB code as workarounds for datasets and datatables. However, I am not using a dataset. I'm just directly accessing the database with the CrystalReportViewer control. My .cs page doesn't even have any code in it. Do I still need the code? If so can you help me with this part?

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you are logging onto a database or have parameters on the report then you need to pass that info in code (unless you are hitting the same database that the report was designed against then you can let the viewer prompt you).

You can find samples and such here:

Former Member
0 Kudos

It's the same DB that the report was designed with. However, this is going to be used by a LOT of clients, and none of them should ever know the password. How do I just do it automatically?

Also, when I try to manually type the info in the login prompt, it has this "bobj is undefined" error. What is that?

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Refer to the link I posted that has the getting started and samples. You will need to write code to pass the logon information to the report if you do not want your customers knowing the logon info.

As for the bobj undefined please create a new thread for that.

One thing to try if you are deploying to a custom website instead of the default website on IIS is you have to duplicate the "aspnet_client" directory under your web site. You do this manually.

Once you copy the "aspnet_client" directory down into your web site the error should go away.

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it. It's working fine now.

former_member184995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent, good luck with your project.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Try out the following steps to turn off DEP:

1. Click Start

2. Click All Programs

3. Click Accessories

4. Right Click on Command Prompt

5. Left click on Run as Administrator

6. Click the Allow button if it asks you for permission

7. Type or copy and paste this into the command prompt window:

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff

8. Hit enter and you should see the confirmation: Operation Completed Successfully

9. Reboot and DEP should be off.

For Refering to Samples and Tutorials you may [Click Here |http://devlibrary.businessobjects.com/BusinessObjectsXIR2/en/devsuite.htm]

Hope it Works.

Thanks,

Nikhil Dharme