cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRVS2010 beta - zoom option in design window

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

On the design window (main report tab), I would like to use the zoom percent 125%. I type it in the field, but it isn't working.

It does work on the main report preview tab.

I searched this forum and did not see this issue listed for crvs 2010 beta. I did see it listed for the full version of cr2008.

I don't know if this is a bug in the beta or if the feature is not suppose to work in crvs 2010.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello,

I did a quick test and as you noted it's the same in CR 2008. This would not have changed and would be considered an Enhancement request.

Product would require a good Business Case as to why you need this added.

Did the post you found for CR 2008 indicate if it was tracked? Can you past in the post link and/or track number?

Thank you

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I can't test this in the full version of cr2008 because i had to uninstall it, so that the beta of crvs2010 would run.

the business case for this is "consistency" with the other zoom field in the software on the report preview window.

that one works.

the links in the forum that i read about zoom issues are listed below

Thank you.

0 Kudos

HI,

I tested in both 2010 and 2008 and neither have a 125% zoom window size nor are either adjustable by manually entering in a number. These view in the IDE is the ActiveX viewer, possibly the windows view is different but my PC is so slow right now It's a pain to test.

So I'm not sure where you are seeing or did see that option?

Thanks again

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure that you understand what I am saying/trying to do.

I know that 125% is not a default zoom option, and I wasn't trying to indicate that it was, but in the zoom percent field on the toolbar, you can type in any percent that you want. (within the range for each software package) I use 125% a lot in all software that has a zoom feature, which is why I put it in my original message.

If you have Word, open a doc and in the soom percent field on the toolbar, type any percent that is not in the drop-down list. Having that functionality on the design window in CRVS is what I am talking about.

On the preview window in CRVS, you can type in the percent that you want, which is why I don't understand why the design window does not have the same functionality. Features should be as consistent as possible in the same application.

I hope that this better explains the problem and why it should be fixed.

Thank you

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

After looking into this I see what you are meaning. This is possible but I also I think that this would be a great enhancement. First this depends if you are using Windows or WPF forms application.

In a Windows Form application the zoom button doesn't allow you to type it in directly but when you select it there is a "Customize..." option. Selecting this allows you to enter your own value. It should also be possible to add your own control to our viewer to do this yourself. I will look up the code to see if I can find it; it was a tricky piece of code written by a coworker. However an editable box would be a great enhancement.

EDIT I found the code it was documented in our kbase as article 1408996. Now this was verified with Crystal Reports 2008 and I cannot guarantee you can get this to work with Crystal for VS 2010.

In a WPF Form application this is default behaviour though the zoom is on the bottom right of the viewer.

Trevor

Edited by: Trevor Dubinsky on Jun 25, 2010 4:13 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am only using the preview window in crvs 2010.

I take your reply to mean that the zoom feature will not be modified by the time crvs2010 is released? Is that correct?

Thank you

Tracy

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot say one way or the other but I will put this request in for the WinForms viewer. You were just concerned about the design time preview window not the viewer that displays in your application?

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy,

Also to clarify. In the .NET UI when previewing the report you are using the deprecated ActiveX viewer. When previewing in your Windows app you can not use the ActiveX viewer so you'll be using the CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms or Web viewer.

When you do find these issues please test in both, the ActiveX viewer will not likely be enhanced/added to but the windows viewer will be if Product deems it to be a great addition.

Thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor,

Yes, I am referring to the design time preview window.

I have not used the WinForms viewer.

I think that the feature should work the same everyplace the a report can be viewed, not just a specific viewer. Having the feature work the same across to board so to speak would make the Crystal Reports more consistent.

Hopefully, when you put in the request, it will be for all windows that a report can be viewed from.

Thank you.

Tracy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Don,

I understand what you are saying, but right now I only have time to test in the design environment.

I would think that most inconsistencies that are pointed out by us (people using the beta version) would be thoroughly looked into by the developers to make the change in more than one place to keep the environment consistent.

Back in the day when I was a programmer, that is what I would have done without being asked.

Is this not how developers work today?

I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't have any idea of what the process currently is.

I don't know what the requirements are for the product team that you refer to, but there should be end-users and report designers on the team that have a completely different perspective of what is useful and/or needed. Otherwise, developers will often say no to a feature just because they do not have the experience from the other side of the table, if you know what I mean.

Thank you.

Tracy

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy,

Completely understand your points. Our Beta programs are small compared to some I've been on also and yes if our Product teams plan to do this more often they have discussed implementing a more controlled way. Previously when we did release beta's there was a mail box that you used and interacted directly with Program Managers and Developers. Things changed, and now we use this public forum to handle beta releases. At the moment this is the only option we have.

The history is the old Embedded Designer control was COM and the matching viewer was ActiveX. This is what they used in the .NET IDE's to allow creating reports within. When MS announced no more COM support ( which they later retracted because of so many complaints ) we deprecated the RDC and it's activeX viewer but we kept it in the .NET IDE as a starting point for designing reports, it is free after all. For more feature complete applications users would design reports in the full CR Designer and simply use their .NET to view and make minor changes. For more complete functionality they then upgrade to the full CR runtime and RAS to use RCAPI's.

So I agree with you that what you see in the .NET GUI should be what you get when viewing at runtime but it's not the case knowing the history now. You are comparing Apples to Oranges with the viewers, COM and .NET or DHTML depending on the application. So as a general guide line you can do a quick preview in the .NET UI but final testing should be done using the Form or WEB viewer to verify.

Final note is to clarify if our Product Team determines what you are seeing is a bug in the ActiveX viewer there is no escalation path. Also, because the CR for VS .NET is a free product and it is limited in it's ability there is no enhancement path. To get full features and functionality the upgrade path is to use the full Crystal Report Designer and updated runtime.

Thank you again for all your time testing and for your patience and understanding

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

The first paragraph of your message is what I am use to when beta testing. Sadly, as you stated, that is not the case for this product.

I am concerned about your last paragraph because so far, I haven't posted anything that isn't a bug. For example, displaying the programming field names on a dialog box instead of the end-user field name, for lack of a better word, is a bug. Many of the things that I pointed out appear to be minor fixes because the current code is pointing to developer side instead of the end-user side. Does this make sense?

Can you tell me which is the more popular viewer that people use to test reports in? The easiest one to set up is preferred. If there are instructions on how to set this up, could you let me know. I would appreciate it. You've mentioned winform and something else that I can't remember now. I would like to bring this to the attention of my clients, so that they will have another option when things are not working as expected, they have another option for viewing and running reports. This may sound strange, but the majority of my clients do not create full blown visual basic applications, as programming is not what they do. They create a basic data entry form or two and some reports, which they run from the preview window.

Trust, I am not trying to be a pain. I'm "pretending" to be my clients and posting questions that I can't answer for them, before they actually upgrade to crystal reports for visual studio 2010.

I hope that this provides a little better understanding of why I am posting the questions that I am.

Thank you.

Tracy

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want your clients to preview reports why not just download the free SAP Crystal Reports Viewer from our site?

The ActiveX viewer we use to preview reports in Visual Studio is quite old technology. Our program managers and developers aren't spending much time updating this old technology, instead they are investing time and energy with our new products and our new viewers. It would be great if it was updated to include all the new features - but they had to make the cut off somewhere.

I would have acutally preferred to see the .NET Winform viewer used for that preview in Visual Studio myself.

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/sap-crystal-solutions/query-reporting-analysis/sapcr...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Thank you for the link for the free cr2008 viewer.

I installed it, hoping that it would let me use the parameter panel.

I can view a report that has parameter fields, but the option to refresh the data is not enabled for any report.

Therefore, I can't really use the parameter panel as it is intended to be used.

In your previous message, you mentioned the NET Winform viewer.

Does it provide all of the functionality that is in the full version of cr2008?

Is this another free download? I searched for it, but could not find it.

Can you let me know where to get it from?

Thank you

Tracy

former_member208657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The .NET Winform viewer is a .NET control you would add to a Windows form in a Visual Studio project. It comes with Crystal Reports 2008 and integrates into Visual Studio. It also does support the new parameter panel in 2008.

The developer guide is the best place to look for information on how to build a .NET Windows application.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/bi-sdklibrary

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir31/en/crsdk_net_dg_12_en.chm

0 Kudos

Hi Tracy,

PLEASE post a new question. Not sure who changed the subject line but this is now a Free Viewer post.

Thanks

Don

Answers (0)