cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRS 2011 CPU/RAM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have Crystal Server 2011 Installed on Windows Server 2008 with 6gb Ram with 2 cores

We have barely any users logged in ever.

Our memory is being used between 80-100% all the time. Sql Server is using almost all of it.

I could not find any good articles explaining how to track down where the resources are going. Can someone point me in the right direction

to figure out what is going on?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have continued to dig into this and SQL Server is constantly pulling in data hardly any of it is being written to disk.  My input folder: \SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\FileStore\Input has 150,000 folders in it and 250,000 items. Is this normal?

It is full of .CFS, .GEN files that seem to all be filled with stuff like this:

</Field>

<Field>

<FN>boe.search.content</FN>

<FV><![CDATA[]]></FV>

</Field>

<Field>

<FN>boe.search.content</FN>

The reason I bring this up is because even when no one is logged in and no jobs are being ran, files and folders are being update here ever few minutes. Are any of these things Red Flags that would point to so much memory consumption?

Thanks

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SQL Server has nothing to do with  \SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\FileStore\Input, unless you have set it up to store its databases int he same location as your CRS2011 server file repository.

Check settings of your Platform Search. See admin guide for details.

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check out SAP BO KB 1640934 - How to safely use Platform Search Service in BI 4.0 without overloading the server?

Since you have the following symptoms

- Platform Search Service keeps indexing the database.

- There might be increase in memory and CPU consumption of Java.exe process of Adaptive Processing server which hosts this service.

- Deadlocks may also occur at the database.

Hope this helps,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

I turned off Platform Search and Restarted just incase, but that did not help. I have 3 processes that are my concerns.

sqlserver.exe

cms.exe

java.exe - adaptive job server

Is there a way I can go into detail on what these processes are trying to do?

sqlserver is giving LOTS of "Deadlock no resource" warnings

former_member191664
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Sohel and Denis point out earlier, it is uncommon to have a two memory eating applications, BI4.0 and MS SQLServer database running on a Windows server with 6 GB RAM in total.

I'd suggest you to find another spare machine on the same subnet to separate these 2 application.  If the database deadlock still lingers after that, you'd find many helpful and useful links in the BIP forum as well as in SAP KB search.

PS. CMS.exe is the process for Central Management Server (CMS), and you should find all the detail about CMS and AJS from BI4.x Admin guide.

Regards,

Jin-Chong

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SqlServer was installed by default with Bi4. This windows box serves no other purpose than Cystal Server. The other reason I am slow to forget this issue is that we have the same install on another server with a different set of reports, but a lot more users, and that system is using 75% less memory than this one.

If I am going to suggest that we upgrade our memory or put the CMS database on a different server then I will have to explain what exactly is causing the load. at this point I cant specifically tell them that. If there was a way to get more details from the Sql process so I can explain what the data is that is eating up memory then we would all be happy.

Thank you all for your responses.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

maybe it is time to log SAP support message then, and review env setup and traces with them.

former_member190781
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jeremy,

You are not on minimum hardware required by CR server 2011, please refer PAM

Minimum Server Hardware Requirements

4 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU 8 GB RAM minimum / recommended 16GB*

And on 6 GB you are running both CR Server 2011 and the database.

you should first upgrade the hardware and then analyze the problem, your DBA might help you to understand which database instance is causing spike in memory consumtion, the database thread, PID or the queries causing it.

As far as memory allotment for the SQL Server is concern you can assign minmum, maximum meory for the SQL Server, Logon to SQL Server management studio, right click on the server and go to properties and, in the properties page select memory, (Again it is not recommended to limit the database unless you have proper calculation for the resources consumption of your system)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sohel