cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating hierarchy on measures

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a requirement where I need to drill-down or Hide/Expand on measure.

Ex.

Hierarchy expanded view.

Sales Europe

Sales USA

Sales Asia

Sales Total

Hierarchy normal view.

Sales Total

_________________________________________________________________________________

In the above example I need to hide detail rows (Sales Europe, Sales USA, Sales Asia) and only show Sales Total but when I expand all the detail rows should be visible. All the above rows are measures.

I can do it very easily in BEx by creating a structure with keyfigures and include detail rows under the total row as next level in the hierarchy.

Does any have any idea how this can be done in WebI?

Very thankful to any help.

/Suman

Edited by: Suman Vemula on Sep 19, 2011 2:45 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MariannevL
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

If you are creating a BEx query that is to be consumed in WebI, you should make use of the strenghts of WebI and not create it as you would for BEx analyzer. There are so many different ways to achieve the same goal in WebI.

First as stated above,

you can use just the base measure and pull in the characteristic that is underlying of the logic where you do define which sales are Europe, USA or Asia. So instead of four keyfigures, you use just one.

You will get three lines iso just one, but the beauty of WebI is that once you have them you can place them in any format you see fit. You can put them in a normal column table, a row table or crosstab. Or even in different blocks... you have much more control and do not NEED to do it all in one go and in one query

Once you have your data there is the interactivity to worry about, how to uncover more detail...

Again there is more than one option.

You can use the WebI drill functionality to uncover more detail (drill down the dimensions).

You can use input controls to show or hide certain elements (which can be a complete table block or chart).

You can use outline which gives you an option to fold and unfold much like the BEx analyzer fold,unfold (so there is a header that is shown and the details can be opened by clicking on the plus sign).

With all of these they are defined in WebI, you don't use any structure from BEx as-is, otherwise, why use WebI in the first place?

Good luck,

Marianne

Former Member
0 Kudos

x

Edited by: Suman Vemula on Sep 20, 2011 5:46 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Marianne,

Yes, you are absolutely right but what I am dealing with here is a lot of Measures (Value fields in COPA) which can give a meaningful value by themselves.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ex :

Measure (Value Fields) Period(201107)

Retail Discount 100

Wholesale Discount 200

Promotion discount 50

Total Discount 350

Now I want a Fold/Unfold function on u201CTotal Discountu201D which is a total of all the discounts.

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't you have a dimension object for the sales locations ? If you have, then you can create a hierarchy in the universe like [L00 Sales Loc] > [L01 Sales Loc] and use that for drill down in webi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for quick reply but there is no dimension relating them.

arijit_das
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you create a universe on top of the BEx query, don't you get dimension object corresponding to the structure ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Thanks for your reply,

I will not get any structure as dimension when all by members in the BEx structure are key figures more over I am using 4.0 where I create WebI report directly on BEx query.

/Suman