cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Extra Wide Excel Report

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm designing a new report that will contain about 57 cols. which will be exported to Excel. I'm having a problem getting everything to fit in the report designer layout. I went in to the "Print Setup" and the widest Paper Size I could find was 12X18, which only gives me room for 12 of the 57 cols.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can accomplish what I'm trying to do or if it's even possible? I'm open to any suggestion. My version is 10.0.0.533.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to change the printer in in the page setup. Switch it to something like the "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer".

Then on the printer properties, select "Custom Size" and set the width to the size you want.

HTH,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response Jason! I have never used this forum before now, so hopefully I did it correctly and you get credit for the points I selected. Your answer definitely helped. I found that there is a max width of 36" in the Custom size, so not sure yet if this is going to be enough. But I will try it.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Libbyem, Jasons solution will work just fine, here is a secondary option.

Shrink everthing on the report. Since you are going to export to excel anyway.

You could make all your fields .32 wide, you will be able to put 56 of them on an 18 inch wide page.

They will not be easy to read, but... When you export to excel, you should not have any problems.

"Other than the normal, I am exporting something to excel issues" Also set your grid size to .32 and it will

be easier to line things up nice and neat. Be sure to have a label "even if blank" for each data element so that

the output will not be skewed from the headers. ( Assuming you have those ) HTH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer, but when I decrease the width as you suggest and then export to Excel, it's chopping off the data since I haven't allowed enough room. I am new to Crystal, so it's very likely I'm not doing something correctly here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer isn't wide enough for you, you can hunt down other print drivers.

You can also try "Cute PDF Writer" it's a free PDF app and if I remember correctly, you can push it out to 72" or 82". If you have Adobe Acrobat, you may be able to go even wider.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jason. Would this approach just get me by during the design and once I've laid out all the fields, could I then export to Excel from Preview?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure why, when I export I do not lose any data, no matter how small the field is. I have CRXI

Have you tried using the format

Data Only

and are you exporting to Destination

Application

I just tried it with a report I have. it is 70 Columns wide and fits on 8.5 by 11

I do have to go to Excel and adjust column width to fit, but everthing is showing up.

Also, using the other suggestion, I have added a plotter as a printer source.

I used a Xerox 8265, it will print to 65 inches wide. So if you select that as your

paper source, you can use it to export to excel, with out having to actually have the printer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah - that DID work! I was not selecting the data only. Thank you both SO much for all your help. On your last response, I was not able to select point as they were grayed out.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not a problem, not like I can cash them in for a cup of coffee, or a Pepsi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, but at least it gives me the opportunity to show my appreciation even if it's such a small token. Have a good weekend!

Answers (0)