cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created Trigger...is not triggering an event to kick off...

former_member213977
Participant
0 Kudos

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever exp this issue before. We have a ETL to be kicked off based on a trigger. The scenario is:

We use JD Edwards to run a job that creates a file called "sales" on our network drive, once this file is created it is suppose to trigger and kick off our SalesLoad ETL. Now, when this file is created through our JD Edwards the ETL never kicks off, if we manually create the file the ETL sees the file and runs, but only when we create it manually. We also have the ELT on a schedule simply because this trigger is'nt working. Unfortunately the downfall of this is if jobs become backed up on our server, then the ETL tries to kick-off and fails due to previous jobs not being run. If we could get this to just kick off upon the creation of the file there would be no hiccups since if our server becomes backed up due to jobs, the ETL would just kick off later than normal when the file is created no problems vs trying to kick off at a specific time and failing from jobs backed up. Looking for any light at the end of the tunnel to get this working!

I am fairly new to BI so I apologize if maybe this is little confusing.

Set-up

BI Edge XI 3.2 SP3 / WinSvr2008 / WACS (instead of TomCat)

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member230846
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tiff,

To clarify, 

1. Did you create a script (SalesLoad ETL) and upload it to BOE and set a recurring schedule?
  2. Did you then create a "File Event" in BOE to monitor your network drive for the 'sales' file?

If you answered yes,  you need to make sure:

• To create your recurring schedule to kick off before the file event gets created.  For example,  if the 'sales' file gets generated at 3am,  your recurring schedule for 'SalesLoad ETL' should start running at 2:30am.
  • By setting it to start at 2:30am,  the 'SalesLoad ETL' recurring job will go into a Pending status;  waiting to run.  When the 'sales' file arrives at 3am,  the Pending job will go to a Running status,  and run your ETL script.
  • Additionally make sure the SIA is running under a domain account so it can read that directory where the 'sales' file is expected to appear.

Moving forward,  I would suggest:

• deleting the current 'sales' file in the network directory.
  • verify what time the ETL script is scheduled to run and ensure you specify an appropriate time.  Recreate the recurring schedule if you set it up incorrectly.the first time.

Regards,

Wallie

former_member213977
Participant
0 Kudos

Good Morning Wallie,

Ok we have a "File Event" set up on CMC. Im not sure what you mean by #1, the "script." This event is not really set on a schedule (and maybe thats the issues) but from my understanding the way this way setup is, once that file exists on the network thats when the SalesLoadETL will kick off. We are doing it this way instead of just a normal schedule because the SaleLoad is dependent on our invoicing to complete. There is a job on IQS that runs and creates that Sales file on the network drive once the invoicing has completed. Scenario being if the file is not there then the salesload does not run and will wait until the file is present instead of kicking off at a specific time and failing because our invoicing has not completed.

So yes we have a file event in BOE and also yes the SIA is running under a domain account and is mapped to the network folder containing the Sales file.

Also this may be of help, if we manually create the file, the SalesLoadETL kicks off, but if the file is created through IQS it does NOT kick off.

Thank you,

Tiff

former_member230846
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tiff,

In regards to me referring to a "script".

If you were to manually run your SalesLoadETL,  how would you do that?  Is that a script you run or execute?

If yes,  is that script managed or uploaded into BOE as a .BAT or .SH file?

From my understanding of your description,  you have:

1. A SalesLoadETL (script???)

2. The SalesLoadETL is waiting for a file named "Sales" (created by JD Edwards) to appear in a network location.

3.  Once the "Sales" file appears in the network location,  the SalesLoadETL should run.

If the above is true and the SalesLoadETL is managed by BOE on a recurring schedule using File Events,  it should run IF the SalesLoadETL (.BAT) is scheduled to run before the "Sales" file appears at the network location.

Regards,

Wallie

former_member213977
Participant
0 Kudos

Afternoon Wallie,

Let me backup and give you a little more info I may have been missing that might help clear some things up. The SalesLoadETL is scheduled and accessed through the Data Services Management Console. These are batch jobs, we have ours scheduled to run at nightly at 11:30pm, the file that trigger looks for is generally created around 10:45-10:55pm. Now if we manually create that file at the same time the trigger sees the file exists and kicks off, its just when its created through IQS.

Also how can I verify for sure that the SIA has and IS accessing that network directory. This is a domain machine and is mapped to the network folder where that file is created.

Hopefully that helps some, I'm new to BI and may mix some things up.

Thank you for your time!!!

Tiff

former_member213977
Participant
0 Kudos

Good Morning Wallie,

Last night as a test, I scheduled a Web Intelligence report to run based on that specific trigger file being created. I set the report to run nightly starting at 9pm, so in theory at 9pm it should have looked for the file on the network and kicked off. The file was created at 11:01pm but my report never kicked off. Have you exp something like this before?

Thank you for your help,

Tiff

former_member213977
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Wallie,

Just wanted to let you know I figured out what the problem was. What was happening is, the IQS job creates a "file"...but its just a stream file. We discovered for what ever reason the file is there..but it has no attributes, we couldn't edit, open the file or delete the file (unless doing so through IQS). So what we did to remedy this, was set the job in IQS to create a .xls file, created a new trigger (pointing to ..network\<BO>\Triggers\Sales.xls), scheduled a report and it worked!

Thanks!

Answers (0)