cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR2011 VS2010 Deployment

Former Member
0 Kudos

We finally decided to use Crystal Reports at our company and we just bought SAP Crystal Reports 2011 (About SAP Crystal Reports shows CR Developer Version 14.0.4.738 RTM Product Type: Full).  This is the first/only product we have purchased/installed/tested (no other Business Objects/SAP anything).  Our goal is to develop reports to include in VS2010 Windows and Web projects (mostly Windows).

I found the installer to put the report viewer on my VS2010 toolbox.  I found the SAP Crystal Reports .Net SDK Developer Guide, crnet_dg_2010_en.chm, and made a test report and project that actually works. 

In the scenario I'm setting up, I'm putting my Crystal Reports (.rpt files) in a network folder and using them as a non-embedded resource in my application(s).  My apps are built to use the .Net Framework 4.0 Extended.

So far, things work on my development machine and I'm working on running the app on other client computers.  Naturally, the problem I ran into is that those computers have nothing Crystal Reports installed and I got the message about finding the appropriate CRRedist*.msi.

This is where I'm having a problem.  I've gone to many different SAP pages to download what I thought was the redistributable.  I have CRforVS2010_sp1_redist32.zip (and 64) and  four zip files liker CRforVS_redist_install_32bit_13_0.zip (13_0 or 13_0_5 for both 32 and 64 bit).  But as far as I can determine, these are just installing CR for VS for me.  (I'll test that claim again.)

Then I found actual CRRedist2005x64.msi and CRRedist2005x86.msi files on my development systems.  It happens that my VS IDE's are all upgrades from VS2002 through VS2005 to VS2010.  So I took that CRRedist2005x64.msi and installed on my Windows 7 64-bit system.  Now my app works fine on that computer (which has no .Net Framework installed other than 4 Client Profile and Extended).

Is that really the solution for CR2011 and VS2010, to use a 2005 runtime?

I'll have to figure out how to uninstall that from my Windows 7 64-bit systems so I can test the CRRuntime_64bit_13_0.msi (there's another issue).  But are CRRuntime_64bit_13_0.msi and CRRuntime_32bit_13_0.msi what I'm supposed to use on client computers?

Thank you,

Gary

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

VS 2005 came with CR Basic which is why you found them. Click the Overview tab and you'll find a lot of basic resources listed on the left side, SDK help etc.. as well as the downloads for installing into IDE and runtime redist packages. You don't need them all...

First off, we have them all available but you only should use the same redist version you installed into the VS IDE.

You will find them all here: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

So to plug CR into VS IDE download the first SP 6 link. Only way to integrate CR into VS properly.

You do not need to download each one, SP 6 has everything in it and the latest bug fixes...

Set your Project for X86 32 bit mode only and then distribute the x86 MSI to each users PC. You do not need x64 if your app is not running in that mode and for a Windows Desktop app no reason to. Problems with 64 bit dependencies, Printers, mostly... up to you though.

As far as the framework goes CR requires the full version no matter what you set it to and we still have dependencies on 2.0 framework so it must be installed also.

So no you do not use the 2005 redist package from VS 2005.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Don.  I uninstalled all my Crystal Reports runtimes from every computer and made sure nothing Crystal Reports worked.  I confirmed that I had the msi's and exe from 13_0_6 (top of that list) and installed those.  My development box is (a Virtual Machine) running 32-bit.  Two of the test client computers are Windows 7 64-bit systems.  I used the CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_6.msi for those but then I remembered your comment about using the 32 bit runtime.  So I installed that on the 64 bit system and it works.  Excellent.

I think I have arrived at a place where I can develop and deploy successfully.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let's go back a step. What is the version of the CR Assemblies referenced in your project?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Assembly:  CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Version:     13.0.2000.0

Path:          C:\Program Files\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Common\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\dotnet\CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll

Assembly: CrystalDecisions.ReportSource

Version:     Same

Path:          Equivalent

Assembly:  CrystalDecisions.Shared

Assembly:  CrystalDecisions.Windows.Forms

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The any of these will install the correct runtime. They just will:

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-7824

The MSI files are particularly good as they have all the MS dependencies (except the framework)

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Those are the files I downloaded (and the Support Pack 6 for the executable).  I'm using the 32 bit installer for both 32 and 64 bit systems and making my app target x86.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just one small addition to Don's post. In my experience, if you have both CR 10.2 and CR 13.x on the same dev system, it often (always?) happens that the version 10.2 assemblies keep insinuating themselves into the project. E.g.; you create a project referencing CR 13 assemblies. Save. Close. Open the project tomorrow and the project will have CR 10.2 references. Uninstalling CR 10.2 is the only solution to this issue. This is for Dev systems only. Runtime is fine.

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow us on Twitter

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the SAP Idea Place

Share Your Knowledge in SCN Topic Spaces

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Ludek.  Since this is our only CR product, I suspected there would not be any 10.2 assemblies anywhere.  In the process of reinstalling I followed the developer guide and checked the version of CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine and found 13.0.2000.0 and 9.1.5000.0.  Since I did my VS2010 install as an upgrade from VS2005 as an upgrade from VS2003, perhaps 9.1.5000.0 came from that VS2005 installation and wasn't removed when I uninstalled VS2005 and VS2003.  But, evidently, that version of the assemblies is not an issue...unless you tell me otherwise.

Thank you for your input.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Interesting to read this post as I have just used click once to deploy a vs2010 project with crystal reports embedded. It failed on the target machine with

"unable to install or run the application. the application requires that assembly crystaldecisions.reportappserver.commonobjectmodel version 13.0.20000.0 be installed in the global assembly cache...

Can anyone point me to a guide for deployment. Just to add, I installed support pack 6 to install cr into vs2010.

thanks

ian

0 Kudos

Please search, that error is typically due to you building your app with ANYCPU selected and you then distributed the wrong package, Likely your app should be 32 bit but because the OS is 64 bit it's trying to start in 64 bit mode.

Don