cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of ABAP Reports to BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am pretty much aware of the scenarios where in we build the infocubes based on the business requirements, thru the gap analysis (business content approach). I would really be thankful if somebody can provide me a good overview and the possible documents on the scenario, where the client has already ABAP reports in place and now they are moving into BW. I need to figure the best way and understand the best way to create those reports in BW.

Could somebody who has already in this type of scenario, pls help me out.I would appreciate the good answers.Pls provide any useful docs to prathibha.e@gmail.com

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prathibha,

Check if these links are helpful:

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

1.Classify the reports as per area like FI, CO, Sales Etc

2.Run the report outupt and see what is the final data that is shown.

3. Check with the users on why they need these reports, how frequwntly they use them.

For example,

A purchase manager would look at an Inventory report...So check with him on what all information is finally generated in the report

4. Get inside the code of these ABAP based reports. If you know ABAP, debug the code and see what all fields, tables these programs retrieve data from.

After all the above steps, you would be in a suitable position to analyze these reports and then start comparing them with the business content to identify R/3 datasourcesa and BW Objects.

Trust this answers atleast some of your questions.

Regards

Prakash

Assigning points is a way of saying thanks in SDN

Former Member
0 Kudos

I appreciate Prakash, it makes a lot of sense to me. Could u throw some hints so as to how to debug the abap code and any docs that u have some sample scenarios will be helpful to me.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pratibha

I dont have any docs to share now. For docs, go to service.sap.com/bi and you would find many ASAP docs, How to docs etc

For the programs, do this

1. Go the se38. enter the name of the program. Click display.

2. Go to the code. See the data declrations and search specifically for select statements. See which tables from which the select is run. These would typicall be the standard SAP tables (if theres a lot of custom configuration in client's R/3 system, then these tables could be Z or Y tables).

3. If its a sales report,it would typicall pick data from VBAK, VBAP, VBRP, VBEP, etc. If its a FI report, it could typically pick up data from BSEG, BKPF, GLTO, GLPCA, etc...just examples!!

4. And if you are comfortable in ABAP, simply add a breakpoint in any of the data declrations in the begiining of the code and press F8.

Hope this helps.

Prakash

Assigning points is a way of saying thanks in SDN!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prakash. i will try and come back to u.