Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control the number of users logging in to the portal

harman_shahi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there any way to control the number of users logging in to the portal?

Issue: We need to limit the users logging in Per Company (Access key).

I read about the Activity Reporting in NW, and that would show us the stats, but does not let us control the logins. I read all the forum posts on SDN about this topic, they were helpful, but none addressed our needs.

Has anyone implemented such functionality? If we need a write a custom service or component to accomplish this, then which APIs should I be looking at?

Our Portal Version: We are currently on EP6 SP2 PL 35, and in process of moving to NW.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Harman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member271246
Participant
0 Kudos

One way of possibly doing this is if you have a load balancer in front of your portal, most load balancers have this capability, upon threshold met present the user with an html page with a message on it.

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi William,

and how do you want to differentiate for "limit the users logging in <i>Per Company</i>"?! I don't think that approach is appropriate.

Best regards

Detlev

former_member271246
Participant
0 Kudos

Each company may be on a different segment of the network meaning they may be able to identified them by thier IP addresses. You would need to check with your network group.

harman_shahi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies, here's a little more info...

We're working on project which allows a company to buy user licenses to access our portal. So if a company has bought 5 licenses, the 6th user for that company will not be able to login.

*Note: We treat each Access Key in the portal as a company.

The way we determine if the user belongs to a company is by the AccessKey that is assigned to that user. We're not depending on IP addresses at all.

Hope this clears the issue !

I think we'll have to write some custom code to accomplish this.

Thanks,

harman

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Harman,

for this you'll have to develop your own custom login module. Just type "login module" into the SDN search to get forum posts, articles, etc. about it.

Hope it helps

Detlev

harman_shahi
Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks. I was hoping for an easier/quicker solution.

-h