cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection from Linux BO server to Essbase cube

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a desktop with Essbase client 9.3.1 installed. I can connect to the Essbase cube using XLS add-in. I can create a universe with a working/responding connection on top of the OLAP cube and I can use the universe and create a report that retrieves data in DeskI on the same desktop PC.

Now, I export the universe to the BO repository of BO XI 3.1 SP3. When I want to create a report in WebI using this universe I am getting this error:

A database error occured. The database error text is: Failed to initialize the Essbase API. Verify that an appropriate Essbase client version is installed.. (WIS 10901)

However, when I login to the BO server (it's a Linux box) with Putty and when I try the connection from the BO server to the Essbase server using either ESSCMD (Essbase Command Mode Interface, release 9.3.1) or using essmsh (Essbase MaxL Shell, release 9.3.1) and using the exactly same credentials that are used in the universe connection, then there is a connection and I can see the list of available application databases (cubes).

The question is, why BO can't connect to the Essbase server when a report is built in WebI?

Do you have and idea?

Please note that the connection to the Essbase server (either with ESSCMD, or essmsh or in the universe connection) uses a custom port (20300) and not the default one. That's how the Essbase server and the database was installed and configured. Can this be a culprit if, for instance, BO tries to use a default port (1423?) for connecting to Essbase eventhough the port 20300 is specified in the universe connection?

Please help if you know what to check, where to look.

Thank you.

My environment:

BO XI 3.1 SP3 on a Linux server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS 4.6

Essbase client 9.3.1 on both, the BO server as well as the desktop PC

Essbase database 9.3.1

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will check this out from the administrators.

Does it matter if the Essbase server is on 64bit or 32bit OS?

Or only the BO server side (OS and Essbase client) is what matters?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

The BO does not care about the Essbase server. Make sure that you are using the 32bit Essbase client libraries on the BO server. I assume that you can access a 64bit Essbase server using the 32bit version of the Essbase client.

Make sure that the path to the 32bit libraries of the Essbase client is included in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable for the user, who is used to run the BO services.

Regards,

Stratos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I checked it and the BO server is on 32bit Linux box. Also the Essbase client on the server is 32bit.

Make sure that the path to the 32bit libraries of the Essbase client is included in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable for the user, who is used to run the BO services.

I will ask administrators to verify this.

Thank you for your help so far.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the path to the 32bit libraries of the Essbase client:

According to administrators, this is OK:

-rw-r-----  1 busobjects busobjects      857 Jan 19 17:15 .bash_profile

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:/usr/openv/netbackup/bin:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/
lib:/usr/local/lib:/opt/Hyperion/AnalyticServicesClient/bin

Is there anything that should be checked?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am just wondering if anyone has any additional ideas what to check and/or what to configure to make the connection from the Linux BO server to the Essbase server working.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same issue but I'm working with Win2008 R2 x64. The Essbase clients are based on 32 bits... How can I solve this issue

get Documentation Information exception (Error: WIS 10901)

A database error occurred. The database error text is: Failed to initialize the Essbase API. Verify that an appopiate Essbase client version installedu2026 (WIS 10901)

I'm using the Suite of Hyperion Essbase 11.1.2

Please Help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The supported platform document says that supported version of Hyperion Essbase data connector is, among others, Hyperion Essbase client 9.3. What we have installed on the BO server is Hyperion Essbase client 9.3.1.

Do you think that this could be a problem?

My understanding was that supporting Hyperion Essbase client 9.3 includes also support of Hyperion Essbase client 9.3.1. Please let me know if this assumption is correct or whether Hyperion Essbase client 9.3.1 is not supported and we should downgrade the Essbase client on the BO server.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Was this issue ever resolved? We have been using an Essbase 7.1.6 client with our BO XI R3.1 FP 2.5 environment for quite a while with no issues. After having upgraded our Essbase servers recently to version 9, we are seeing some crashes on the Essbase server side, which we think is coming from the same BO WebI reports that used to work fine. Oracle is suggesting that we try upgrading our Essbase client, which I am testing out now. I have installed the Essbase 9.3.1.4 client, but am getting the same error you mentinoed here when trying to run the same WebI reports now.

I am wondering if this client version is just not supported? If you ever got a resolution, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben Rottinghaus

0 Kudos

Hi,

Essbase Support for BO XI 3.1 with SP2 looks as follows:

Hyperion System 9

Hyperion Essbase client 9.0

Hyperion Essbase client 9.2

Hyperion Essbase client 9.3

SP4 is already out. Maybe you check the fixed issue list if there is a known problem with your BO Version and Essbase Version.

Regards

-Seb.

0 Kudos

Is this 64bit Linux?

Regards,

Stratos

0 Kudos

Hi,

that you dont use the default port doesnt matter.

If your OS is a 64 Bit version, is your Essbase Client also in 64 Bit or in 32 Bit?

Regards

-Seb.