Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect SAP Cloud Integration to SFTP through VPN

JSEPULVEDA
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear colleagues,

To integrate certain business process with a bank we are required to send files to a SFTP server that only can be accessed by VPN. Customer integrator/middleware is SAP Cloud Integration.

While I'm well aware that cloud and private networks doesn't mix that well, those are the constraints/requisites and they cannot be changed.

Some cloud products offer VPN capabilities (e.g. SAP Commerce Cloud in the Public Cloud - Virtual Private Network (VPN)[...]Create up to 10 Virtual Private Network (VPN) connections to and from your SAP Commerce Cloud environments and your selected private networks using the Cloud Portal[...]) It seems that SAP Cloud Integration doesn't offer that feature and the SFTP server must be publicly available to be used, but I have not been able to find an official SAP (similar to SAP KBA 3043383 - Not Possible to Use the Cloud Connector (as a VPN/Proxy ) to Connect/Tunnel C4C With the On-Premise Network on Outlook Server Side Integration).

Could you kindly enlighten me on whether this integration is possble in SAP Cloud Integration?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

José

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jonorte
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello José Enrique,

Did you guys manage to get around the VPN problem? We are facing a similar problem, where our integration needs to connect to a private endpoint that only seems reachable through a VPN. Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

JSEPULVEDA
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, Jon but integration ended up using a completely different approach (direct web services published in the Internet) with no (S)FTP usage either public or private.

jonorte
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello José Enrique,

Thanks for the rapid response! I am afraid that we are probably going to have to use a similar approach as it does not seem that Cloud Integration has any kind of VPN functionality that we are aware of.

Kind regards,

MarcoFreischlag
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi José,

I'm not an expert regarding SAP and any VPN related topic, but if you check the Commerce Cloud documentation https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_COMMERCE_CLOUD_HOSTED/9056bcacb3f342228dfa0b547f149dff/7eed91aadff546a... you also get the information that you have ton install some kind of VPN client. Seems they are not utilizing SCC but some other mechanism to establich the SSL tunnel.

Regards Marco

JSEPULVEDA
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Yes, after reading the documentation it instructs to set up client-side VPN clients to connect from on premises, which sadly is not the scenario we need.

We will proceed assuming that SAP Cloud Integration does not have any VPN capabilities.

Thanks for you answer.

Best regards,

José

MarcoFreischlag
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi José,

did you check this Blog Post - Cloud Integration – How to Connect to an On-Premise sftp server via Cloud Connector: https://blogs.sap.com/2018/11/16/cloud-integration-how-to-connect-to-an-on-premise-sftp-server-via-c...

Maybe this is helpful for your setup.

Regards Marco

JSEPULVEDA
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I already checked it and it is very likely the solution we will end up using, however, it will require to deploy and configure a server to run SAP Cloud Connector on our premises. While SCC has meager hardware requirements, the bureaucracy to get the server is still tiresome and I'd like to either have the option to have the full setup in a single point (the cloud) or a strong evidence that it is not supported.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

José